RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

15A automation switch on a 20A line?

ETBrown

Many of the light switches in my home are connected to 20A circuit breakers, and unfortunately the Z-wave and ZigBee automated switches that I've found are only rated for 15A (if any amperage rating is listed at all).  Does anyone know of a model z-wave or zigbee switch or dimmer that is rated for use on a 20A circuit?

If there aren't 20A switches available, do electrical codes allow 15A switches on a 20A line if there are only lights controlled by the switch?  My understanding was that a 15A switch could not be used on a 20A line because a short could burn out the switch before tripping the breaker and start a fire.

I am not sure what the NEC says but a 20A breaker is meant for an entire circuit.  This may consist of multiple outlets (or lighting circuits) and each one cannot be connected to a 20A load.

I am pretty sure it's not uncommon to use 15A switches or outlets in a 20A circuit.  They key piece it to not overload the switch or outlet itself with whatever you are connecting to it.

Just my 2 cents.

Update: I have found a few web forums with comments from electricians and they cite sections of the NEC code.  You only need 20A switches if there is only 1 switch on the 20A circuit or if there is only a single outlet on the 20A circuit.  This is because a dedicated circuit rated at 20A you would expect the entire load to be going through the single switch or single outlet.

Edited by cskenney
add'l info

Good topic, pull one of your existing switches to see what it is rated for.

When I swapped out switches in my home I used GE/Jasco. A 20amp breaker that I thought ran the hall way light turned out to run several outlets as well.

Thanks for the detail cskenney.

Thanks for the update cskenny.

Which model GE/Jasco switches did you use schoondoggy?  

I replaced almost all of the old wiring in my house since a lot of it was cloth-wrapped aluminum wire that had begun to break down and fray.  The new wires were 12 gauge on 20A breakers with 20A switches for the lights.  Most rooms contain a single circuit powering a few outlets and 1 or 2 light fixtures attached to the switch.

• 5 months later...

I use a power conditioner, if the power line is stronger, my UPS can regulate for safe and steady power. Especially since the products being plugged in aren't cheap, it's worth protecting.