RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Drive Extender has been pulled from Vail!

kermi

Today, Microsoft have announced that DE Drive Extender will be removed from Windows Home Server v2, WHAT ?

That was the #2 reason for buying WHS, #1 being PC backups, what next ? Will they take that out ? We were hoping for Media Center intergration since we were buying all the hard drives and moved all our content to our servers for streaming and hoped that Media Center intergration would help us have 1 less computer running, That didn't happen.

Why spent +$100 for WHS v2 when I can buy a NAS and get their software for free ?

I am completely disappointed. :(:angry:

They should call the new version of WHS v2 " Windows Home Server Vista " a new UI, but all broken underneath.

• Like 2

So it looks like my Drobo idea from last week's show wasn't such a bad idea after all! Use the WHS for PC backups, File shares, media streaming, etc...and the Drobo to manage the storage pool. Expensive, but I think it could work well. I guess it will get better traction on the show tonight? (NOTE THE CHANGE IN DAYS!). We are broadcasting live on TUESDAY NIGHT this week.

http://homeservershow.com/live

Edited by jcollison

This is extremely disappointing on the part of Microsoft. I'm not sure why they considered Drive Extender broken in the first place, but as far as I know there was no cause for them to take it out. I personally use a combination of RAID and the Drive Extender technology in my WHSv1 right now and I have no problems. I don't look forward to not having a combined storage pool of all my different Hard Drives.

I merged Kermi's topic into this one that I created so it looks like kermi started the topic. Didn't want to lose his post. Also merged Diehards post. Great discussion, keep it up.

Join us tonight at 8:00 Central for a live discussion on this news. The shock aside, does this news help out those enthusiasts that have massive storage? Extender is a 1:1 solution when a raid 5 obviously improves on that. If the OEM's come up with a good solution it might be a win for enthusiasts. The average user off the street? I'm not so sure.

Why am I surprised with this news? Typical Microsoft....you take a winning product and screw it up completely. Okay Old Man...take a breath and calm down :angry:

I am sure, or at least hope there is a technical reason behind this. Technically speaking I can get around this by using Shadow Copies on clients, DFS with Aurora, and some third party backup software. It appears a small investment in some copies of Version 1 may be in order. I have 5 now and another 5 may be a good thing to have.

But why.....WHS is a no brainer. Please...say it ain't so Joe (Steve, Bill, or whoever is in charge up there) Bummer with a capital B....see you on the stream tonight.

This was truly shocking news. Let's see that book about "Why is there a server in the house?" updated to explain RAID technology to the target consumer audience. Sounds to me like they went down a bad path with the new version of Drive Extender. Got strong negative feedback about not being able to pull a drive and just read it in another PC and found themselves with a H1 2011 deadline they didn't feel they could move. So they punted.

I guess we'll have to wait and see where this leaves us when the new beta comes out ("early next year") according to Andrew Edney's post on Using WHS, but I can't help but feel this is bad news for WHS's future. Well I guess I can back burner that test Vail build I was planning for a couple of months now. No sense testing an irrelevant product. I'm guessing this is going to really kill any momentum Vail had from a beta perspective. They should have released this Info. in conjunction with a new beta build incorporating these changes. Not dropped a bomb and told us to check back next year.