RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Smart lock for a sliding patio door

schoondoggy

schoondoggy

I have gone smart door lock crazy at my house!

Has anyone seen a smart lock for a sliding patio door?

Something with a keypad and Z-wave?

• Like 1

This has to be possible.  My only problem would be how to remove the wooden broomhandle from behind the door.  You know, the manual security method to keep it from sliding?

How about that Smart Bit's servo?

schoondoggy

This has to be possible.  My only problem would be how to remove the wooden broomhandle from behind the door.  You know, the manual security method to keep it from sliding?

How about that Smart Bit's servo?

Funny you mention that, there is a thread on the Vera site where a user was trying to do that.

Broom stick-hinge-rope-servo!

cskenney

We don't use the broom handle at my house.  It's too easy for the boy to remove.  Instead we use one of the spring loaded shower rods and place it at the top of the door.  He has to pull over a chair to get it down but I usually hear the chair scraping across the floor.

Back to the original idea.  I think one problem is the different slider manufacturers use different latch/lock mechanisms so there isn't one standard to design to.

schoondoggy

Back to the original idea.  I think one problem is the different slider manufacturers use different latch/lock mechanisms so there isn't one standard to design to.

You nailed it, there is no standard hardware for sliding doors. 

French doors on the other hand tend to use standard hardware.