RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Schlage deadbolt install

schoondoggy

This took about 20 minutes to pull the old Schlage deadbolt and replace it with a Schlage Z-wave unit, program it and join SmartThings:

3sIFYA.jpg

Schlage instructions and YouTube videos are incredible resources. The only things I needed to do, twist the lock cylinder to make it longer and adjust the strike plates so the deadbolt engages without having to push or pull on the door. In addition to the SmartThings connectivity, I really like the fact that I don't need to have a key to get in and out of my house. 

It looks great.  Do you use multiple access methods? Phone, Pin, etc?

Also, I suppose it has to be aligned perfectly in order to lock from remote.  You know, there are some doors that you have to push in or pull towards you and operate the deadbolt.  None of that I suppose?

It looks great.  Do you use multiple access methods? Phone, Pin, etc?

Also, I suppose it has to be aligned perfectly in order to lock from remote.  You know, there are some doors that you have to push in or pull towards you and operate the deadbolt.  None of that I suppose?

I set pin's for everyone and I can open it with SmartThings. Still working out the rules with ST. 

Alignment is key. I did not realize I had adjustable strike plates which made the job easy.

It is a little tough to see in the picture, but the bolt is slightly tapered.

It looks great!  I put mine in during May and have changed batteries in front door twice and backdoor once.  I would be interested to hear how your battery life is.  

I use it with auto lock (that feature had to be set by programming the lock not through the Staples Connect  hub) and I think it results in the battery being used more.  

The good thing about having one on front door and one on back is that when the battery does die, and I'm not carrying keys, I can get in the other door.

Mine is connected with Staples Connect,  and each family member has a different pin.  But the Staples Connect can not tell me which pin was used, and I can not set a pin to only be active on a given schedule.

Can you do either of those things with Smart Things?

I have set PINs for each family member in the Schlage. In the SmartThings activity section it tells me which code was used to open the door. The Schlage locks also have some choices around rules like vacation mode, auto lock, lock and leave. I dont see any option in the Schlage to set PINs for a certain schedule.

Sent from my HP Slate 8 Pro using Tapatalk