RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

windows storage server or vail?

eagle63

Hey guys, newbie here working on a strategy for getting WHS running in my home. My question is, is there any reason I should wait for Vail vs going with windows storage server? I have (or will have soon) a technet subscription so cost isn't an issue. My understanding is that they are virtually the same except that WSS allows more users. Just want to make sure there isn't something important that I might be missing. Thanks!

As with any backup/storage solution, the way you intend to use it will ultimately make the decision. "Make a list....+'s and -'s

As with any backup/storage solution, the way you intend to use it will ultimately make the decision. "Make a list....+'s and -'s

Right, but my question was more about the differences between WHS and WSS. My list of requirements are already met by WHS. But if WSS is effectively the same (just more users) than it seems like a no-brainer.

The drive extender announcement change your mind any?

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1445&st=0

Wow, big news - but I gotta believe that microsoft will have some easy way of accomplishing the same thing - otherwise it's not really a consumer product anymore. As an aside, as a newbie coming into the WHS world I've been surprised that Microsoft is still pursuing this product. I can't really explain why, but it feels very much like a side-project or experiment for them. Regardless of today's news I wouldn't be at all surprised to seem them pull the plug on the product entirely.

WSS is a high end NAS and not meant to stream media such as movies, TV, music thru a user friendly interface.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/storageserver/archive/2010/09/22/windows-storage-server-2008-r2-is-now-available.aspx

Maybe I am looking a this whole deletion of drive extender in the wrong light. Up until now, any SMB with a lick of sense could do his own IT work and thank to M$ it just got harder. More of a business opportunity and a reason to leave Iraq early !!!!

WSS is a high end NAS and not meant to stream media such as movies, TV, music thru a user friendly interface.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/storageserver/archive/2010/09/22/windows-storage-server-2008-r2-is-now-available.aspx

Maybe I am looking a this whole deletion of drive extender in the wrong light. Up until now, any SMB with a lick of sense could do his own IT work and thank to M$ it just got harder. More of a business opportunity and a reason to leave Iraq early !!!!

But doesn't WSS support the whole "add-in" software model that WHS uses? My impression was that they were interchangeable from that standpoint. The interface on WSS (at least from the few screen shots I've seen) looks remarkably similar to WHS.