RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Door Locks and Deadbolts

Dave

I have a question for you guys. I want to move into door locks soon and I have 3 exterior doors that have separate deadbolts. The know is also keyed.

Do the zwave kits also have a key?

How do you match knob to deadbolt?

Is there a kit for both?

I have a question for you guys. I want to move into door locks soon and I have 3 exterior doors that have separate deadbolts. The know is also keyed.

Do the zwave kits also have a key?

How do you match knob to deadbolt?

Is there a kit for both?

Every Z-wave lock/deadbolt I have seen also has a key.

I had Schlage door hardware so I have stayed with them for Z-wave stuff. I just bought a Schlage Z-wave deadbolt to replace my old one. The color matched perfectly. You can buy door knob deadbolt combo's.

This is the full kit:

http://www.build.com/schlage-fe469nxcam605accrh-polished-brass-right-handed-camelot-entrance-handle-set-and-touch-screen-electronic-deadbolt-with-camelot-interior-lever-and/p2130349

My door knob was fine, so I just bought the deadbolt:

http://www.build.com/schlage-be469nxcam605-polished-brass-camelot-touch-screen-electronic-keypad-deadbolt-with-built-in-alarm-and-z-wave-technology/p2130340

I did a lot of research before buying my two Schlage touchscreen dead bolts.  I was replacing a deadbolt/handle set that were connected so I need to replace the whole hardware set.  I realized from reading the manuals that what I had was an unusual spacing between the holes in the door (the big hole was 7.5" above the bottom hole for the handle set most are either 8.5" or 9.5").  So I found the manual for every Z-wave set I could find to get the measurements.  (None matched and I had to drill a new 3/8" hole to attach the bottom of the handle set and putty up the old 3/8" hole.)

On the Schlage site I noticed some comments about getting the locks all keyed to the same key.  When I bought the house (5 years ago) I had a locksmith come and key all of the locks the same and I didn't want to give that up.  I called Schlage and they pointed me to this site where it offers all sorts of keying options, including buying an additional lock that uses the same key as one you already have, or buying a bunch of locks that use the same key. Or buying a condominiums worth of locks where there is a master key.

http://www.buyschlagenow.com/

And as a bonus they had all of the matching hardware and the locks that were $200 most places were $190.

After going to that effort for the keys the truth is that no one in the family carries house keys anymore.  The 4 shiny new keys are all still on the ring they came on hanging on a hook by the door.  We are Very happy with the locks we bought.

• Like 1

All my doors use Schlage locks.  I have both the dead bolts and door knobs keyed the same. When I moved into my house (it was brand new and I was the first owner) I replaced 2 of my door knobs with programmable touchpad locks.  I took them to a local lock smith and they were able to change the pins in the locks to match the keys to my other locks so everything is keyed the same again.

I should mention that the primary reason I use the touchpad locks is not for convenience getting into the house. They keypads are on the inside of the house and are used to get out.  I have a son with Autism.  I cannot take a chance on him walking out the door when someone is distracted.  So my house is locked from the inside (and outside).  All primary outside doors have illuminated keypads to get out in case of fire.  In case there is every a problem with the lock the key is still nearby and of course it's the same key that is on my keychain to every other door for the house.