RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

IP Camera and Server Solutions

GavinCampbell
9 hours ago, itGeeks said:

Are there any AC outlets near the cameras? If there is you could use a AC to USB adapter

USB 2.0 you can extend about 16 feet and USB 3.0 about 10 feet without any problems... If you need to go longer then you can use a USB 2.0 A Male to A Female Active Extension / Repeater Cable, This will allow you to extend up to 32 feet.

Hope this helps...

The AC outlets are near but wanted to run wires into the wall. Was thinking if it was possible to run POE cables up to the spots and then see if there is an POE to USB power converter. I was just trying to have a clean look. I like the way these cameras look and the quality is pretty nice. 

Jason

Am pretty sure my TP-LINK 24-port and D-Link 8-port PoE switches both do auto VLAN tagging.

Discovered how to set it up in Untangle NGFW by bridging a new VLAN to the internal network, but not quite sure how many VLANs I need or what devices should be in them.

Suppose I could start with simply all IP Cameras in a single VLAN. Otherwise my only voice traffic is a single Ooma VOIP adapter.

itGeeks

Your IP Cameras would be a good start, I would also put your Ooma on it own VLAN per best practice. I often forget about TP-LINK when I need gear, Not sure why. I always here good things about them, How happy are you with them? Do you have one of there smart switches? I am in the market for a 24 port with about 6-8 ports being PoE. How is the user interface?

Jason
15 hours ago, itGeeks said:

Thanks for the update.

1) What resolution are your continues recordings?

2) What resolution are you using when motion is detected?

3) How much space are the recordings using in this configuration?

4) Whats the make and model of your cameras? Link please.

Using Blue Iris:

1.) 1080p

2.) 1080p

3.) Dedicated WD Red 3TB HDD

4.) Amcrest IP2M-843E

itGeeks

Thanks for the info, How much storage is the recordings using?

Jason
2 minutes ago, itGeeks said:

Thanks for the info, How much storage is the recordings using?

It appears with 9 cameras recording continuously, it's using just under 2.5 of 3.0 TBs of storage.  The 2.5 TBs contains recordings spanning 3 (closer to 4) consecutive weeks.

itGeeks

That's good to know, Thanks

DragonRebornUK
14 hours ago, itGeeks said:

As I continue to research today this is another good reason you may wan't to put your cameras on its own VLAN, Another thing to keep in mind is many cameras come from china and as a result they most likely have buggy firmware or worse, Backdoor into the camera that could allow someone on your network without you knowing. I don't mean to scare you but the threats are real and should be handle as such.

That's why i turned off Internet access to my cameras via the router ( Netgear - Orbi ). Nothing goes in from the outside or leaves. Only the LAN which my Blue Iris Sees.

nrf

I turned off UPNP for similar reasons, and allow access only thru my geniusvision server. Even there I am thinking of turning that off and coming in thru openVPN for such access.

Jason

I have and generally keep UPnP turned off on all routers. Also, just assumed since all of my cameras were behind the firewall with no inbound access to them from outside the network, I was OK?

Currently, I access Blue Iris from my mobile to view cameras. Am unable to access any camera directly from outside firewall.