RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

IP Camera and Server Solutions

Jason

One thing I wasn't sure of... I currently only have 1 internal and 1 external interface on my Untangle NG Firewall.  I am not using any VLANs.  Have read people talking about putting all security cameras on their own VLAN.  Is this necessary for a home, non-commercial setup?  Everything is working now so I didn't want to overcomplicate.

Have never setup a VLAN before and was trying to think thru the best approach... all IP cameras on a single VLAN? TiVos and other devies on another VLAN?  Are there any best practices?

Am not using any managed switches on my home network.

DragonRebornUK

I have been using Blue Iris for a few years now. Love it

I run 4No 720p Bullet Cams outside my house. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NZWJFK6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The NVR with this system is crap. So i worked out a way to power these (SPOE not normal POE as its "special" there own way of POE, blimin Chinese manufacturers!) and run them off my home network. (Made sure they were Onvif capable before purchase so i could run BI )

I used to use my HP Microserver Gen8 with Xeon 2.4GHz as the BI server but realised that a far less powerful PC can run these cams fine. and i can hide it away a lot easier than the server and pulls a lot less watts!
This is what i use. https://www.gigabyte.com/Mini-PcBarebone/GB-BXBT-1900-rev-10#ov. SSD in the box with an external USB3 drive for the saving of the constant video files. (3Tb WD Video Surveillance Drive )

I have set up on BI. Motion detect videos saves to a OneDrive  folder so its backed up to the cloud straight away. (Folder Size of 30Gb Total, 30 Second Clips are around 15Mb ea)  And Constant recording to the External USB Drive. 
All the above takes about 30% of CPU power.

Running the BI android app so i get push alerts for movements around the house. Also use masking so i don't get that many false positives. Apart from Posty who delivers to the door! :-)

If i can be any help with anyone on setup of Blue Iris i will :-)

PS As it is a "foreign" manufacturer and one that will send info back to the manufacturer website,as it did have QR code on the NVR. I have blocked all access to the web via my router. So no info gets out with me saying so.

CCTV.jpg

FD.20180118_122326.0.3.jpg

Edited by DragonRebornUK
  • Like 1

GavinCampbell

I have a couple wifi cameras (WyzeCam) that use USB for power. I want to put them on the wall and hide the USB wires. I can run them to he basement but I don’t think USB can run that far?

Anyone have any tips on what I could do to get USB power to these?

itGeeks
On 2/2/2018 at 7:24 PM, Jason said:

Not sure I resolved it though I’ve moved my 9 cameras to continuous recording in Blue Iris. I do have motion detection enabled which flags my timeline viewer where motion was detected. Helped me pinpoint certain points in time. Otherwise it’s now a non-issue. Am a fan of Blue Iris. Great applications. Thanks.

Thanks for the update.

1) What resolution are your continues recordings?

2) What resolution are you using when motion is detected?

3) How much space are the recordings using in this configuration?

4) Whats the make and model of your cameras? Link please.

itGeeks
7 hours ago, GavinCampbell said:

I have a couple wifi cameras (WyzeCam) that use USB for power. I want to put them on the wall and hide the USB wires. I can run them to he basement but I don’t think USB can run that far?

Anyone have any tips on what I could do to get USB power to these?

Are there any AC outlets near the cameras? If there is you could use a AC to USB adapter

USB 2.0 you can extend about 16 feet and USB 3.0 about 10 feet without any problems... If you need to go longer then you can use a USB 2.0 A Male to A Female Active Extension / Repeater Cable, This will allow you to extend up to 32 feet.

Hope this helps...

Edited by itGeeks

itGeeks
10 hours ago, DragonRebornUK said:

I have been using Blue Iris for a few years now. Love it

I run 4No 720p Bullet Cams outside my house. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NZWJFK6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The NVR with this system is crap. So i worked out a way to power these (SPOE not normal POE as its "special" there own way of POE, blimin Chinese manufacturers!) and run them off my home network. (Made sure they were Onvif capable before purchase so i could run BI )

I used to use my HP Microserver Gen8 with Xeon 2.4GHz as the BI server but realised that a far less powerful PC can run these cams fine. and i can hide it away a lot easier than the server and pulls a lot less watts!
This is what i use. https://www.gigabyte.com/Mini-PcBarebone/GB-BXBT-1900-rev-10#ov. SSD in the box with an external USB3 drive for the saving of the constant video files. (3Tb WD Video Surveillance Drive )

I have set up on BI. Motion detect videos saves to a OneDrive  folder so its backed up to the cloud straight away. (Folder Size of 30Gb Total, 30 Second Clips are around 15Mb ea)  And Constant recording to the External USB Drive. 
All the above takes about 30% of CPU power.

Running the BI android app so i get push alerts for movements around the house. Also use masking so i don't get that many false positives. Apart from Posty who delivers to the door! :-)

If i can be any help with anyone on setup of Blue Iris i will :-)

PS As it is a "foreign" manufacturer and one that will send info back to the manufacturer website,as it did have QR code on the NVR. I have blocked all access to the web via my router. So no info gets out with me saying so.

CCTV.jpg

FD.20180118_122326.0.3.jpg

Nice setup, Thanks for sharing. That's a really great use case for that little Gigabyte NUC, I have one of these for sale if you or anybody else is interested just PM me. It was only used for about a month for testing, I just posted it in the buy/sell section on the forums....

Edited by itGeeks

itGeeks
On 2/3/2018 at 9:07 AM, Jason said:

One thing I wasn't sure of... I currently only have 1 internal and 1 external interface on my Untangle NG Firewall.  I am not using any VLANs.  Have read people talking about putting all security cameras on their own VLAN.  Is this necessary for a home, non-commercial setup?  Everything is working now so I didn't want to overcomplicate.

Have never setup a VLAN before and was trying to think thru the best approach... all IP cameras on a single VLAN? TiVos and other devies on another VLAN?  Are there any best practices?

Am not using any managed switches on my home network.

Interesting topic, One that I have been contemplating over the last several months as I build out my daughters network in her new home.

Necessary? no, Recommended? yes. Following best practices its advisable to separate Data, Video, Voice. If for nothing other then (security) I would also argue that IoT devices should also be in there own VLAN, As we know IoT manufactures care more about "function" then security of the device. You also don't want someone unplugging the Ethernet cable from you of your cameras and have access to your main network.

The 2nd reason you may wan't to do this is for latency aka performance, Segmenting out the network devices such as IP cameras don't have to compete with other devices on the network and this also makes it easier to setup QoS.

Some smart switches such as the Netgear line can auto configure the ports and setup VLANs automaticly based on type of data. Netgear smart switches and Netgear switch selector

Netgear switch feature Capture.PNG

Edited by itGeeks

Ikon-TNG

@DragonRebornUK, looking at your images, you know what I was impressed with? The complete lack of snow! My property is covered with it, several feet thick.

itGeeks

Jason I have a Netgear GS-724T smart switch for sale in the buy/sale section if your interested, It has the "auto VLAN"

itGeeks

As I continue to research today this is another good reason you may wan't to put your cameras on its own VLAN, Another thing to keep in mind is many cameras come from china and as a result they most likely have buggy firmware or worse, Backdoor into the camera that could allow someone on your network without you knowing. I don't mean to scare you but the threats are real and should be handle as such.

Edited by itGeeks