RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

IP Camera and Server Solutions

ImTheTypeOfGuy
Finally wired my 9 Outdoor bullet cameras PoE. Using Blue Iris. Very impressed with Amcrest and these IP cameras vs past experience with Foscam.

BI running on my WSE12R2 server with new videos saves to SSD. Moved to a folder on my file server RAID after 1 day.

Now just trying to figure out how to tweak these cameras with motion detecting. Or if they should just be set to record continuous.
What resources is BI consuming and what CPU and how much memory do you have. This is my biggest issue which I have highlighted on here already.

Jason

BI is using about 3 of 32 GB available RAM. It’s also using less than 40% CPU on a Core i5-3570K Intel Ivy Bridge. Usually closer to 30%. Way less than I expected.

ShadowPeo
1 hour ago, Jason said:

Now just trying to figure out how to tweak these cameras with motion detecting. Or if they should just be set to record continuous.

Depends on what you're trying to achieve, the company I subcontract my IP Security Camera work to stated that if you are trying to capture personal interactions (i.e. assault) use continuous recording, as the incident may be over before the motion capture triggers and starts recording, if you are trying to stop damage to or theft of property, motion capture triggers are adequate

Ikon-TNG

Sounds much like the advice my uncle used to give.

itGeeks
On 1/18/2018 at 7:53 PM, Jason said:

Finally wired my 9 Outdoor bullet cameras PoE. Using Blue Iris. Very impressed with Amcrest and these IP cameras vs past experience with Foscam.

BI running on my WSE12R2 server with new videos saves to SSD. Moved to a folder on my file server RAID after 1 day.

Congrats on your new camera purchase, What model are they? I normally don't use bullet cameras outside due to the fact the IR lights are wrap all the way around the lens and spiders just love them and will block the lens with webs so you need to hose them off. What I found works better is turret cameras that I now use outdoors, It has a very strong IR at the bottom only so no spider problems.

I wish you luck getting motion detection dialed in, I hope you have better luck then I have had over the years. Problem is with these low cost cameras is the type of motion detection they use, Its object based also known as 'pixel change motion instead of PIR based so everything under the sun trips them off such as rain, snow, moving bushes/tree's, ect. Give it a shot and see how you make out. The consensus for outdoors is record 24 hours and don't drive yourself nuts. That said I did have great luck when I was using XProtect GO now named XProtect Essentials, Its free for up to 8 cameras. I not sure why there motion detection worked so good but it was the best with the least amount of false positives in my testing. You can check it out here

I also agree with you about Foscam, After purchasing several of them I found out what a maintenance nightmare they can be if you don't stay current with there firmware. For some god knows reason if you fall behind with the updates you can't just update to the latest, You need to start with the oldest and work yourself threw every update till you get to the latest, (What). Other then that they did not work to bad but that update stuff Pi??ed me off to the point of no return.

Edited by itGeeks

itGeeks
22 hours ago, ShadowPeo said:

Depends on what you're trying to achieve, the company I subcontract my IP Security Camera work to stated that if you are trying to capture personal interactions (i.e. assault) use continuous recording, as the incident may be over before the motion capture triggers and starts recording, if you are trying to stop damage to or theft of property, motion capture triggers are adequate

What kind of cameras do they use outdoors? Do they use 'Object' based motion also known as 'pixel change motion or 'PIR'

Edited by itGeeks

Jason

Am currently trying my Amcrest cameras with a Blue Iris make time of 1 second, break time of 20 seconds and motion detection of 799 with min contrast of 62. To get fewer false alerts. Will the. Adjust from there. So far so good.

ShadowPeo
23 hours ago, itGeeks said:

What kind of cameras do they use outdoors? Do they use 'Object' based motion also known as 'pixel change motion or 'PIR'

I am not entirely sure I would have to look it up they did tell me, I know it was not HikVision that the other company uses. I am pretty sure they are object base as I do not see any PIR sensor on the cameras

Jason

Just created a Blue Iris schedule and made it Continuous. Then set each of my cameras to use the continuous recording profile with motion detecting. This way I’ll have 24/7 recording but motion alerts within the time view.

itGeeks

I think that's your best option for sake of sanity. Take a look and see if BI offers the option to pump up the resolution if motion is detected this way you can record 24 hours at a lower resolution but if motion is detected you can record in lets say 1080p. Synology's new surveillance station now offers this and I can't wait to try it.