RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

IP Camera and Server Solutions

Jason

Sorry for a remedial question, but can’t readily find answer to this question via searches.

For future proofing, if I plan to get PoE+ cameras in future, can I get an 802.3at (PoE+) Switch and connect 802.3af (PoE) cameras to it for the time being? Or would such a switch overload and damage the cameras? Wasn’t sure whether the better switches could detect and moderate the wattage sent via Ethernet based on the client PoE standard?

schoondoggy
2 hours ago, Jason said:

Sorry for a remedial question, but can’t readily find answer to this question via searches.

For future proofing, if I plan to get PoE+ cameras in future, can I get an 802.3at (PoE+) Switch and connect 802.3af (PoE) cameras to it for the time being? Or would such a switch overload and damage the cameras? Wasn’t sure whether the better switches could detect and moderate the wattage sent via Ethernet based on the client PoE standard?

If you have 802.3af and 802.3at you need a switch that supports both specs. I bought one of these for that reason:

http://us.dlink.com/products/business-solutions/dgs-1210-10p/

Ikon-TNG

Seems like it would be nice if they could agree on a single standard....

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I put my cameras at the corners and crossed the area in focus. So on the front of the house I have one on the left corner pointing to the right and one one the right corner pointing left. I do not have any inside.

I am not positive but I thought POE+ was backwards compatible.

schoondoggy

802.3at is not backwards compatible to 802.3af, but ever switch, that I have seen, that supports 802.3at also supports 802.3af. So if you buy a 802.3at switch it should be able to do both, but it is always important to check.

Cisco is pushing a new standard with more power that will support all previous standards:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/white_paper_c11-670993.html

Ikon-TNG
1 hour ago, schoondoggy said:

Cisco is pushing a new standard with more power that will support all previous standards:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/white_paper_c11-670993.html

There ya go :) Let's hope other manufacturers fall in line, or maybe even make the new standard better that what Cisco is proposing.

ShadowPeo
On 12/31/2017 at 7:20 AM, Ikon-TNG said:

Seems like it would be nice if they could agree on a single standard....

23 hours ago, Ikon-TNG said:

There ya go :) Let's hope other manufacturers fall in line, or maybe even make the new standard better that what Cisco is proposing.

IEEE 802.3af-2003e are two standards for a reason, the first standard, 802.3af  (or more correctly IEEE 802.3af-2003 ) delivers 15.4 watts of energy down the lines, as devices developed and required more power (WAP's mostly) then there was a need to get more power over the PoE lines and 802.3at (IEEE 802.3at-2009) was released to allow for this by upping the allowed power delivery to 25.5 watts. Both these standards only allow for a limited number of pairs. 

Now comes the interesting part, as best I have been able to find uPoE, which is the Cisco solution does not seem to be the same as the new IEEE standard (IEEE 802.3bt) which seems to be on track for ratification this year. The new IEEE standard allows for power across all four pairs (8 conductors) of the cable and is looking at allowing power over the 2.5GBE, 5GBE and 10GBE standards. Cisco's uPoE does work on 2.5GBE and 5GBE networks. The other thing to note that Cisco's uPoE is 60W, whilst the 802.3bt is introducing ideally two new classes/types of delivery allowing for 55watt in Type 3 and somewhere between 90 and 100 watts in Type 4 (802.3af is Type 1 802.3at is Type 2)

• Thanks 1

Jason

Thanks. Ordered the 8 port D-Link PoE Switch and 8 Amcrest 2M IP cameras. 2 of the indoor cameras are already online and seem to use very little Blue Iris resources in my WSE12R2 box. Perhaps due to Intel Quicksync hardware encoding. Am having someone come out to run my other 6 Ethernet drops for the outdoor cameras. May just as well have them mount the cameras while they’re at it.

Do you need to use the Amcrest mobile app to setup PoE cameras? Or can you simply wire them back to the switch and access each of their web admin UIs using their DHCP IPs? Before assigning them static IPs?

I ask before they mount each camera only for me to need to get up and take each one down to scan their QR codes. Hopefully that can be avoided.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I did not use the app. I just logged into their web interface using the assigned DHCP IP. I set static IP's for each one and then took them outside to install. I never used the QR codes. I set them up in blue Iris before installing outside as well. That allowed me to pull my phone out and pull up the blue Iris app so I could see if I like where I have the camera pointed before finishing the install.

• Like 1

Jason

Finally wired my 9 Outdoor bullet cameras PoE. Using Blue Iris. Very impressed with Amcrest and these IP cameras vs past experience with Foscam.

BI running on my WSE12R2 server with new videos saves to SSD. Moved to a folder on my file server RAID after 1 day.

Now just trying to figure out how to tweak these cameras with motion detecting. Or if they should just be set to record continuous.