RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

IP Camera and Server Solutions

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I use Amcrest ProHD Outdoor 2 and 4 Megapixel POE cameras. I love them and have had no issues. I think I have eight of them now. Been operational since August or September. I use Blue Iris as well and love it but I find it very resource intensive. I have it on a Sandybridge i7 chip with 16 GB of memory and it is usually using 50% of the CPU and 75% of the memory. Due to that I have been thinking of trying Milestone XProtect.

Jason

Thanks. Would you mind posting the specific model numbers of the cameras you’re currently using?

I have BI running on an Ivy Bridge Core i5 w 32 GB RAM that is primarily a Plex and file server, BI takes advantage of Intel Quicksync video encoding as well. But am currently only using with a single Foscam IP camera.

Jason

Also, I currently don't have a POE switch.  If you can recommend one that would be much appreciated.  I already have my house wired with Cat5e Gigabit ethernet into a 24 port gigabit switch though it's not a POE switch.

Was thinking of adding about 4 outdoor poe IP cameras (front door, outside of garage, back patio/pool area, other back corner of house).

Ikon-TNG

Just noticed this thread. I have to say, my uncle Jim would have apoplexy hearing about WiFi cameras, or he would if he wasn't deceased. He felt wireless cameras are much too easy to jam or to hack.

• Like 1

ImTheTypeOfGuy

IP4M-1025E  and IP2M-842E 

Linksys Business LGS318P 16-Port Gigabit PoE+ (125W) Smart Managed Switch with 2 Gigabit and 2 SFP Ports

Just noticed this thread. I have to say, my uncle Jim would have apoplexy hearing about WiFi cameras, or he would if he wasn't deceased. He felt wireless cameras are much too easy to jam or to hack.
Even worse is the crappy quality. But if you can't get a wired camera then wireless may be better than nothing.

Jason

Thanks! That switch is $280.

Someone gave me one of these new in box. Would this work?

TP-Link 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Unmanaged Energy-efficient Switch with 124W 8-PoE+ Ports | Plug and Play | Metal | Desktop/Rackmount | Lifetime (TL-SG1008PE)

Also where do you currently have your home security cameras? Was thinking of doing 4 outdoor. None indoors. But I’ve not yet done any of the wiring for the cameras.

Ikon-TNG
2 hours ago, ImTheTypeOfGuy said:

Even worse is the crappy quality. But if you can't get a wired camera then wireless may be better than nothing.

Totally agree. I don't actually know if Jim ever employed a WiFi or other type of wireless camera, but I imagine he would go to pretty long lengths to avoid it. He was also, originally, against IP cameras, because he installed some on a client's network and the performance was poor. My father told him it isn't a good idea to mix camera data traffic with regular network traffic. He said Jim should put camera traffic on either its own network, or at least on its own network segment. Jim tried it and found out Dad was right, which didn't really surprise him, truth be told :)

Jason

Picked up 2 Amcrest wi-fi indoor cameras and 6 of the IP2M-841EB PoE 1080p outdoor bullet cameras. Just need to settle on the switch. Saw this unmanaged one:

NETGEAR JGS516PE 16-Port Gigabit Rackmount PoE Smart Managed Plus Switch | 8-Port 85w Power-over-Ethernet | ProSAFE Lifetime Protection

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GG1ACX2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_d8XrAbX7RY42T

schoondoggy
10 hours ago, Jason said:

Picked up 2 Amcrest wi-fi indoor cameras and 6 of the IP2M-841EB PoE 1080p outdoor bullet cameras. Just need to settle on the switch. Saw this unmanaged one:

NETGEAR JGS516PE 16-Port Gigabit Rackmount PoE Smart Managed Plus Switch | 8-Port 85w Power-over-Ethernet | ProSAFE Lifetime Protection

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GG1ACX2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_d8XrAbX7RY42T

The NetgearJGS516PE supports the 802.3af standard for POE. You will need to check the specs on the camera to see what standard it supports. If you are only going to run one to three cameras power injectors would probably be cheaper. If you intend to run more POE devices, then a switch would be a good route.

Jason

The Amcrest IP2M-843E bullet cameras are PoE (802.3af), not PoE+