RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

IP Camera and Server Solutions

Ikon-TNG

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure (certain really) that my father was giving me an arrangement that I could understand more easily. I doubt he had any trouble setting up VLANs himself.

In any case, I was using little 5-port D-Link gigabit unmanaged switches and, because they were all connected to the Untangle router (albeit, each connected to its own NIC in the Untangle router), they all had Internet access. The 5-port switches used very, very little power and took up almost no room. Your right, the LANs couldn't communicate with each other, but that was the point after all, at least in my situation.

An interesting topic for sure, although I'm not thinking I'm going to try VLANs any time soon. I do like the idea of being able to just plug a cable into a switch without worrying about what VLAN it would be on.

itGeeks
On 2/11/2018 at 10:59 PM, Jason said:

I’ve kept things fairly simple. Guest wireless is isolated from the LAN. Only have one VOIP phone (Ooma), doesn’t need a VLAN. IP cameras are now on their own VLAN. IoT devices like thermostats, lighting, alarm, etc are currently on the LAN.

Good to keep things a simple as posible, Keeping with best practice since you seem to have the hardware for security sake I would try and put the (Ooma) on its own VLAN for two reasons really-

1) Security

2) So it does not have to compete with other devices.

itGeeks
On 2/11/2018 at 3:51 PM, ShadowPeo said:

Whilst I cannot answer for @shoondoggy, I can give you a little background on what I do at home, Professionally its pretty much identical except for an extra VLAN for the SAN, and the IoT VLAN is management and holds things such as printer's UPS' etc

VLAN 1: Private Connections - Data Connections to Family devices - Laptops, iPads, Phones etc

VLAN 2: IoT - Data connections to IoT devices where there is no direct access required i.e. BloomSky

VLAN 3: Security Cameras - Security Camera's and a 2 link LACP group for the NVR

VLAN 4: Voice - VoIP Phones

VLAN 5: Guest - Guest Devices - Captive Portal

Router is currently running on a Cisco 867VAE-W but this will be converted to a bridge soon enough. I am thinking a two-stage routing system at this point, as I want to play with a USG-Pro with a Transparent Untangle for Proxy, advert blocking, Malware scan etc.

I will try to publish some topology maps soon as I have to update them after the recent changes but I have not done that yet

Very interesting, Great info. What are you using for WAP's at home?

Edited by itGeeks

ShadowPeo

At home, I am currently playing with the UniFi AC-PRO and AC-HD WAP's honestly not impressed with the 5Ghz "punch" on the Pro's hence why I am going to try out the HD's. I am also playing with the UniFI switching devices, honestly, I am really liking them, not as controllable as the Cisco's and Dell's I am using professionally for the most part but this is fine for 95% of operations. I am hoping to manage to work out the kinks in what I am playing with at which point I can push the UniFi systems to my smaller clients, thus making the management overheads less

itGeeks

I have heard that also, It seems the none Pro's seem to work better at least in a home environment. I think it maybe because these are not designed for a home environment and maybe over saturating the home so it gives your bad performance. Many reviews talk highly of the AC lights and say they work very well. I am trying to keep things as simple as possible for my family and friends all while making sure they have good performing networks that are secure and won't cost them hundreds of dollars for a support call when I am gone and not able to support them anymore.

nrf
On 6/25/2014 at 11:54 PM, Dave said:

I thought I would start a thread on a camera solution for the home

so this thread is pretty rich with information, I'm wondering if the topic of video cameras, streaming, recording, etc. deserve a category or sub-category in the forums.... as someone about to revisit my setup, it would be nice to have one place to start from versus some searching around.

just a thought!

cheers....

ShadowPeo
19 hours ago, itGeeks said:

I have heard that also, It seems the none Pro's seem to work better at least in a home environment. I think it maybe because these are not designed for a home environment and maybe over saturating the home so it gives your bad performance. Many reviews talk highly of the AC lights and say they work very well. I am trying to keep things as simple as possible for my family and friends all while making sure they have good performing networks that are secure and won't cost them hundreds of dollars for a support call when I am gone and not able to support them anymore.

I am also going to try reducing the gain on the system to see if that helps, it may sound counter-intuitive but sometimes crippling a system in some way makes it perform better

itGeeks
On 2/14/2018 at 2:09 PM, nrf said:

so this thread is pretty rich with information, I'm wondering if the topic of video cameras, streaming, recording, etc. deserve a category or sub-category in the forums.... as someone about to revisit my setup, it would be nice to have one place to start from versus some searching around.

just a thought!

cheers....

There is already a category https://homeservershow.com/forums/forum/174-cameras-remotes-telephony-etc/

If you want something more the instructions say to PM the admin for consideration.

Edited by itGeeks

nrf
4 hours ago, itGeeks said:

There is already a category https://homeservershow.com/forums/forum/174-cameras-remotes-telephony-etc/

If you want something more the instructions say to PM the admin for consideration.

no that will do. thanks for pointing it out (sub forum?)

although this seems to be the only thread in there that was touched this year

Edited by nrf

nrf

this seems to be the primary active thread here. my current security video recording software, geniusvision, has moved from a 16 channel free community edition to 2 channels free or monthly fee beyond that. as always I am allergic to the subscription model. I recognize that subscriptions incentivize suppliers to stay in business, but I'm more of a 'install office once for its lifetime' over the 'pay me every month for office' way of doing business. either way, any particular product will have its natural lifetime that cannot be predicted. 

so, I've seen two recommendations in this thread, any other recommendations?

4 hours ago, itGeeks said:

Edited by nrf