RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How to pair a Lowe's ISIS water sensor, Utilitech, to SmartThings

I just picked up a couple of water sensors at Lowe's.  These are branded Utilitech water sensors and I've seen in other places that they are re-branded EverSpring sensors.  Here is how I paired them up to my SmartThings hub.

Unpackage and move close to your SmartThings hub. You will need to remove a phillips screw to get to the battery compartment, and another to actually get the batteries in.

Place the batteries in the device.  It will start to beep every couple of seconds and light will flash. Ignore this.

Screw down the battery cover.  

See that button?  Get ready to push it three times, all the way in. You have to do this action in 1.5 seconds or less.

Get the app open first prior to touching that button! 

Go to your app of choice, SmartThings Dashboard.  Add a Thing.

You can simply choose "Connect New Device." or drill down to Water/Flood Sensors and choose EverSpring Water/Flood Detector.

Go to the button, tap, tap, tap.  Let the button go.

It should beep three times and start the pairing process. Make sure it beeps on each push. You might actually have to slow down.

The app should automatically go to the Water Sensor add wizard and you should be able to name it.  It will give a long beep as well.

Thanks to schoondoggy for helping through this writeup.

EDIT: See post 12 on how to remove  thing.  I found that you only have to tap the button once to pair. That didn't work for me the first time I tried it and thats how I came up with the 3 button press method.  Maybe I was impatient but I've now been able to add the device with a single button push.

Edited by Dave
Changes

I should have labeled this: 

How to pair a Lowe's ISIS water sensor, Utilitech, to SmartThings and the trouble it leaves behind.

I have a few extra issues that are bothersome and yes, I do understand that this sensor is not designed with SmartThings in mind  I should point them out so anyone wanting to purchase one will at least have all the info up front.  I'm also hoping that ST can help a little?  Perhaps there is something that can be manually adjusted via the IDE.  I'm not sure on that but I can hope!

First of all, the sensors don't give you any information via the Things listing in the app.  It would be nice to see battery level.  My biggest issue, however, is once the sensor has been tripped I can't get it to reset back to a safe state.  The sensor is dry, it's not beeping, but it's reporting wet in ST app.  I hope it's not a manual reset type issue.  I'll try popping the batteries out and see if that fixes it.  More later.

schoondoggy

As we were trouble shooting yours I tested mine. It had worked fine in the past, but now mine is acting just like yours. It wont reset to dry.

I do see a battery level, but you need to click on the device in Things.

Have you raised this to tech support at ST? 

I reset the batteries on one of them and I can see battery level inside the thing.  Still shows wet however.  The one I have not reset has no battery indication in the app or in the IDE.

schoondoggy

Are you using rechargeable batteries? I could not get the battery level to read higher than 50% on rechargeable. I put in new regular batteries, they show 100% and it reset its mode to dry. Every time I test it, I get paged properly, but the app is still not showing the status properly. The dashboard does not change, but the pages behind it do. Still working with support. 

The device came with batteries and that's what I used.  I'll dig up some fresh new ones and see if that helps.

cskenney

I bought one of these sensors a while back and could not figure out how to get it to connect until I read this write up.  I have mine working (with my IOS app) and everthing seems to be indicating correctly except the battery level.

I have brand new batteries in it because I thought there was a problem with the ones that came in the package when I couldn't get it to connect before.

schoondoggy

I just tested mine tonight. It paged my phone and the Dashboard and Things change properly.

Now I will wait for it to reset.

schoondoggy

This morning it had not returned to a dry state, so I dried off the contacts with a tissue and it reset to dry. 

It appears that the contacts are very sensitive.