RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Z-Wave and INSTEON Question

Dave

Dumb Question Time

I have SmartThings. SmartThings does not have a Windows Phone App.  Are there any devices that would talk to both SmartThings and an Insteon hub at the same time? 

schoondoggy

The only thing I can think of is WiFi devices. Both SmartThings and Insteon support some WiFi devices.

Dave

I'm trying to figure out how I can merge what I'm doing with SmartThings on Android, and something with Windows Phone 8.1.  WP has the new INSTEON app.  I may have to get a hub and just play with it.

haworld

Vera is z-wave out of the box and if you add an Insteon modem, you can control both. Thats one of the setups I use to control Z-Wave, Insteon and X-10 in my home and office.  

However, only Insteon is compatible with Windows phone that I know of, now that Microsoft and Insteon have partnered up.

TimothyWMurray

6 months ago I was sure that by now the only devices left standing would be z-wave.  

Now I'm not so sure that z-wave is the long term winner but with about $1000 of z-wave devices installed I'm sticking with it for the Locks and Flood sensors.  But Insteon would be a lot cheaper for light switches. I have a lot of switches, and the guy who built this house loved to put in three way switches, so using GE Jasco it will be thousands of dollars before I can tell the wife, "honey I am sure all the lights are off".  

I never had a Revolv. But I was starting to do some math on whether the lower cost of Insteon switches would make the high priced hub look like a bargain. 

As far as I know the Revolv was the only hub that supported both Insteon and z-wave.  Does anyone know if there is another way to support both?  The Staples Connect people are really evasive in their answers, sometime they say "coming soon" and sometimes "Insteon is slated to be supported but specific time frames have not yet been publicly announced."

https://staplesconnect.zendesk.com/hc/communities/public/questions/201105880-Insteon-devices?locale=en-us

Does anyone have a good way to use both together now that Revolv is no more?

schoondoggy

I found some great deals on ebay for GE/Jasco z-wave switch, I just had to buy them in 6 packs. For main switches I think I paid around $40 each and $20 each for auxiliaries.

RobR

I would recommend looking at the Universal Devices ISY http://www.universal-devices.com/. I have been very pleased with it. I currently have several Insteon devices running on the system and will be adding a Z wave door lock soon. As an added bonus, I can integrate it with my Elk M1 Gold security system and take advantage of my wired security sensors as inputs to my home automation system. They also just added integration with the Amazon Echo.

haworld

The ISY994iZW / IR PRO is both zwave and insteon compatible, so that's a good unit, RobR. 

Another option is Homeseer.  We have used it for 17 years, first with X-10, then Insteon when it came out in 2005 and now Z-wave for the last 4 years, handles them all seamlessly.  And, they just became Alexa compatible as well as Lutron, Philips Hue and more - zigbee coming soon.