RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Apple's iOS 8 HomeKit

Dave

Apple's HomeKit won't show up until iOS 8 lands on new iPhones and existing iOS devices later in 2014.  Deverlopers, however, have their hands on over 4000 new API's which include HomeKit.

Apple is supporting Wi-Fi and Bluetooth LE and end devices will have to be IP connected as well as HomeKit compliant.  There are millions of i-devices out there so get ready for vendors to get their gear compliant for those i-device wallets.

From Apple:

HomeKit lets your home accessories connect seamlessly to better manage your home. HomeKit delivers a common protocol, secure pairing and the ability to easily control individual or groups of devices throughout the house including integration with Siri®. For example, you can tell Siri you are “going to bed” and it could dim the lights, lock your doors, close the garage door and set the thermostat.

“We are excited to be part of the next step in making home automation a reality, in a safe and integrated way,” said Eric Rondolat, CEO, Philips Lighting. “HomeKit will allow us to further enhance the Philips Hue lighting experience by making it simpler to securely pair devices throughout the house and control them using Siri.”

What remains to be seen for me is how in depth will HomeKit be?  Will it have logic like SmartThings? Can iOS go beyond a simple phone presence, or having the app to be in the foreground for home automation to take place?  It will be fun to watch and my bet is this is one Apple venture that will start moving the market whether you like it or not.

• 2 years later...