RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

We're thinking beyond the thermostat. Per room sensing AND control. Energy & fuel use tracking. Equipment service alerts.

Just found a new visitor to the forum and this KickStarter.  Very interesting as I have multiple AC Units and 3 zones.  Some of my zones work better than others due to some funky duct and return air decisions.  I wonder how this Embue system would work or help me out?

We've built a product to address the most important aspect of your home or business - the equipment responsible for your comfort & your energy use. We think our system can do some pretty amazing things - all while improving your efficiency & creating savings. We've come pretty far on our own, but really need your support and interest to make this product a reality.

on KickStarter here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1606462593/rest-easy-weve-got-your-hvac-covered

cskenney

Interesting idea.  I was wondering how they would accomplish local room control of temperature and see they have just announced their Embue Vent (manufactured in Indianapolis).  One issue with zone control is if the system turns off too many zones the air handling system can be overpressurized and create execessive noise that some people wouldn't want in their home.

That being said I am interested in it since my system in my house is a central system with no zone control.  I would like to be able to heat or cool my upstairs rooms independently from the main living space.

It is interesting.  I'm on the other side of things where I need multiple zones on multiple units.  I have zone equipment with damper motors, etc.

Lastly, how many homes have a hot room and a cool room no matter what the temp setting?  Address this easily and you have a winner!  Embue, lets start the review process!

I wonder if Embue would let me do a podcast and interview at the Indy facility?

Glad to see the interest and feedback on our system. 

We were hearing a lot about people with that one cold or hot room from Kickstarter backers. We'd always planned on supporting zoned systems, but realized we needed to accelerate that part of our story. Sometimes its only hot when the sun is shining, or maybe when you've got that wood stove going. But definitely a common problem.

Interesting idea.  I was wondering how they would accomplish local room control of temperature and see they have just announced their Embue Vent (manufactured in Indianapolis).  One issue with zone control is if the system turns off too many zones the air handling system can be overpressurized and create execessive noise that some people wouldn't want in their home.

That being said I am interested in it since my system in my house is a central system with no zone control.  I would like to be able to heat or cool my upstairs rooms independently from the main living space.

You're correct that you don't want to close too many dampers. The recommendation from our partners at Jackson Systems for these units is to close no more than 1/3 of your dampers. If you do more than that, then besides noise, you'll also put some strain on the central fan motor. With our controls, we'll check how many you've closed at any one time to stay within the guideline. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• Rodf
      By Rodf
      Whenever I go to my local Best Buy (OK, back when I used to be able to go into my local Best Buy) I'd see all of the smart thermostats, like the Nest, Ecobee, Honeywell, etc. I'm very tempted to get one, but for me the major question is, do any of them work with evaporative coolers? If they don't, then there's no point for me to consider them.
    • Big Tree
      By Big Tree
      Hey all,

I'm putting together a plan to outfit my home as a smart home.  I want to do this for a couple of reasons.  First of all, I am an electrician and I'd like to make smart technology more a part of my business, as no one in my community does it.  Second, I love smart technology and I want it!  I'm looking for suggestions and tips as to what is going to be the best to not only outfit my home with, but is good to sell in a lower income market (nothing like crestron or control 4). 

I think the essential things to put in to make a home smart would be heating control, lighting control, door control, as well as some control to bring them all together.  Here are my current thoughts, and I'd love to hear what any of you think about these things.

Lighting - Lutron Caseta - I'm a RadioRa2 installer, but I don't have the money to put that into my house, so the next best thing for me is Caseta.  I already have Caseta switches in my home and I love them.  I sell them quite often already and I think Lutron is fantastic.

Heating - Ecobee - I like ecobee in theory because they aren't nest.  Even though I'm a Nest Pro, I just have always liked the look and sound of Ecobee.  Am I completely off my rocker for thinking that?

Door Control - August Lock with Ring Doorbell - Seems like these are the best things out there right now, but this is a category that I know very little about.

Central Control - I use Apple right now, so HomeKit seems to make sense, but I think I'd like to use voice control and so the Echo seems like a good product for that.  Would a Google Home be better?  Again, don't have much knowledge of this section yet.

Finally, I currently have an old Apple router, one of the old airport extremes, and I don't know if I should be thinking of upgrading my router in this process.

Thanks for reading my post, thanks for any input you give.
    • TimothyWMurray
      By TimothyWMurray
      I added 2 Trane TZ400BB3VZNNSL - Z-Wave Thermostats to my Staples Connect.

They were easy to add.  These thermostats have no way to program them except through a zwave control.  They have manual buttons, but no scheduling.  That is fine because I have my Staples Connect and always intended to use it to schedule them.

I had two surprises when doing this, maybe someone has a helpful tip.

Staples Connect has activities.  When setting these up you must choose scheduled or manual.   Both of my surprises come from the interaction of scheduled and manual activities.

1) I set up a several scheduled activities with names like "wife working from home", "kids home from school", and "sleep time temperature"  And each of these triggers at a set time on a set group of days of the week.  I gave them names like this because I sort of expected that these same activities could also be triggered manually.  Turns out they can not.  I had to create essentially the same activities but in the manual activities section.  A little extra set up, but this gets the job done.

​2) I then set up a manual activity called "vacation temperature" in the manual activities.  But if I run this activity, it will only run until the next scheduled activity kicks in.  I don't think I can put the regular schedule into suspend mode.

I guess am mentally modeling an activity (temperature settings) as a separate level of abstraction from the trigger (manual or scheduled).  This led me to assume a bunch of possibilities that just are not there in the Staples Connect.  

Any help is appreciated.  Would I be able to do what I'm trying to do if I had a different hub?

By the way I bought the thermostats from http://www.zwaveproducts.com/ and the have great customer service.