RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Sensor / thermostat integration with SmartThings

RCoop

Hi,

We’re working on a thermostat built around a network of wireless battery-powered sensors.  We just launched a Kickstarter and have been getting a lot of requests to integrate with SmartThings (and some votes for Ninja Sphere as well). We’d like to know if providing just our temp/humidity/motion sensor is valuable as a standalone Thing, separate from the full functionality of our system. What do you think?

People are always looking for choices around sensors.

I have used these for temp/humidity/motion/light: 

http://aeotec.com/z-wave-sensor

Yeah, we are finally starting to see some choices in this space. One reason we developed our own temp/humidity/motion sensor was that everything else out there was expensive and unattractive, esp. in the ZigBee space. 

Yeah, we are finally starting to see some choices in this space. One reason we developed our own temp/humidity/motion sensor was that everything else out there was expensive and unattractive, esp. in the ZigBee space. 

Your device is good looking. Another application for this type of device is Small Data Center monitoring:

http://haforums.com/topic/41-smb-data-center-monitoring/

How does it differentiate in the multiple zone HVAC space?  I have two separate furnace/AC units that both have 3 zones each.  I would like a solution and hopefully not more than the house payment itself!

How does it differentiate in the multiple zone HVAC space?  I have two separate furnace/AC units that both have 3 zones each.  I would like a solution and hopefully not more than the house payment itself!

That's a lot of zones. Although I have 5 in my 2500 sq ft house. What I can say is not going to be news to this forum: It makes a lot more sense (costs less, and is less obtrusive) to put a networked sensor in each zone than a big shiny thermostat.