RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Outdoor lighting Automation

Dave

I have 3 outdoor timers in use today.  I know you know the ones.  Yes, the dial and the little plastic thingy that clicks the power on and off at certain times.  Well, I'm tired of changing them several times a season.  Sun goes down at 9 in the Summer and the lights have been on since 6 PM.  In the Winter it gets dark at 5PM and the lights don't come on until 9!

All have a 3 prong receptacle that I could put a z-wave device into.  I'll take your advice from here.  Ground fault, etc?

cskenney

Kevin will probably chime in but you might consider the Cooper RF9505-TDS outlets.  A friend just sent me one to try out.  They are a normal outlet on top and a z-wave outlet on the bottom.  It sounds like you are plugging your lights into an outlet so this would work for you.

Regarding GFCI.  Is the outlet you are using now a GFCI outlet?  Sometimes an entire outside circuit will be protected by one GFCI outlet and the remainder of them are all downstream and connected to the load connection on the GFCI.  If this is how you are wired you could simply replace your outlet with the z-wave outlet and you would still be protected by the GFCI (at least that is what I have read on the internet).

Once you have the z-wave outlets installed you just have to set up the schedule on your Smartthings interface.

schoondoggy

I would concur. A z-wave receptacle is a clean way to do this. I think ST has an app that turns on at dusk and off at a programmed time. There are some receptacles on eBay going cheap. They switch properly, but the led does not work.

schoondoggy

Here is the thread. From time to time these Intermec pop up for $99 for six. Currently, there are Coopers at $199 for six:

Sorry I can't seem to paste the link, search on SmartThings Intermatic CA3500.

schoondoggy

Yup, I ran one in the garage worked good.

Here are Coopers in black, six for $189. I would split them with you if you only want three.

www.ebay.com/itm/161240839161?ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1432.l2649

ImTheTypeOfGuy

J

Kevin will probably chime in but you might consider the Cooper RF9505-TDS outlets. A friend just sent me one to try out. They are a normal outlet on top and a z-wave outlet on the bottom. It sounds like you are plugging your lights into an outlet so this would work for you.

Regarding GFCI. Is the outlet you are using now a GFCI outlet? Sometimes an entire outside circuit will be protected by one GFCI outlet and the remainder of them are all downstream and connected to the load connection on the GFCI. If this is how you are wired you could simply replace your outlet with the z-wave outlet and you would still be protected by the GFCI (at least that is what I have read on the internet).

Once you have the z-wave outlets installed you just have to set up the schedule on your Smartthings interface.

You are correct on how the GFCI works. Usually that one with the fault tolerance is in your garage.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via TapatalkHere.

DWTrump

Yep, I have one of these currently in use for my landscape lighting.  I have a simple setup, with an Aeon Labs Z-wave stick running on my Home Server with the InControl HA software.  It checks a web service for sunrise and sunset times in your area and updates the system's rules for when to turn on and turn off the lights.

I also used 2 more of these, along with several interior Z-wave switches for our holiday lighting this past year.  Outside lights would turn on at dusk and off around midnight.  We controlled the inside lights using the InControl software on my Windows Phone.

Not an elegant solution, but I'm still in the early stages of my home automation experiments.  I'm looking to add more as the year goes on.

Here is a little less clean way.  

http://www.amazon.com/GE-45604-Technology-Outdoor-Lighting/dp/B0013V8K3O

Anyone tried these?

amy

thanks for sharing the information.