RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

Replacing three and four way light switching with the Z-wave

Dave

Ugh, you guys are freaking me out as I have a ton of 3 ways and one 4 way.  I know it will be funky just to keep me on my toes!  When I put in a single zwave switch I had to do my own neutral to power it.  That's the only switch i've done so far. 

baddogwillie

Thanks

Bad Dog Willie

Dave

I'm digging this topic back up.  I just did my first three way (two switches) and am venturing into a 4 way switch (3 switches).  I think I stated that correctly.  If not let me know.

The three way was easy.  The switch which is a GE ZW4005 hooked up as normal.  I red a RED as traveller and that was the only thing different from single switch installs.  The secondary location looked normal to me in standard configuration.  I replaced it with a GE ZW2004.  Neutral jumper to it, ground wire to it.  Then wire nut the line and load in this location.  Hopefully this is correct.  Nothing sizzled, popped, sparked or otherwise prompted the fire department. Works from both switches and from SmartThings.

Anyone care to say what is involved with the 4 way? Same thing in both add on locations?  I have the three switches mentioned above. One ZW4005 and two ZW2004 add on switches ready to go.  

Dave

I read back through this post and looked at Schoon's link to the 4 way. It helps my head but in practice it was all a mess.  The wiring on my 4 way was kind of crazy.  The biggest issue was looking for constant power.  It took me a while because I made mistakes looking for that power.  Once found, wired it all up and it's perfect now.  I really dread having to do it again.  I had help too. Doing it alone would be crazy.

machinehead

Question about your 3-way installation, Dave. With mechanical 3-way switches, the position and direction to move the switch may be either up or down, depending on the position the other switch is in.

Can these smart switches be programmed so that the switch always goes up to turn on the lights, from both 3-way switch locations?

Thanks.

Dave

The GE Smart switches solve that problem.  I'm a little OCD on that with normal switches.  The GE ones always look like they are in between.  Neither off or on. The rocker switch actually pushes a button that is underneath.  There is an up/on and down/off button. 

machinehead

Thanks, Dave. Turning on a mechanical 3-way switch by pushing it down is unintuitive to me.

Glad to know this problem has been solved!