RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ALYT, Security and Smart Home Android Powered

Looks promising, but how much is sales hype and how much is practical?

From a first glance, some thoughts.

Good:

- "hyperconnectivity".  I have a Z-wave automation system but a Zigbee thermostat (because the Zwave options were poor.)  I like the idea of a system that can talk to both and doesn't tie you into a single protocol.

- Cellular backup with integrated battery.  Great way to address the weaknesses of wired phoneline/powered/internet-based security systems that can be disabled with a snip of a cable or flip of a circuit breaker.

Maybe:

- "Managed by iOS and Android".  I assume that means remote control, but they neglected to include web-based in their list.  Web control should be a priority, with iOS and Android apps available to duplicate (a subset of) the web-based features.

Bad:

- "It will learn your habits."   What does this mean?   So far the only devices I've seen that try to "learn" from my habits (Nest, etc.) end up taking days and weeks to do what I can do in minutes with a web app.

• 3 weeks later...
Riccardo

I found these guys a few days ago.  I like the concept but I don't know that I want to wait for it.  

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/alyt-security-smart-home-android-powered-fixed-funding-campaign

Dave,

I understand the frustration of waiting months over months for a crowdfunded product but you wouldn't have to wait for long.

As a member of the ALYT team I can disclose that the first prototypes are being assembled as of now!

I'll keep you posted :-)

Riccardo

Bad:

- "It will learn your habits."   What does this mean?   So far the only devices I've seen that try to "learn" from my habits (Nest, etc.) end up taking days and weeks to do what I can do in minutes with a web app.

AquaDyne, I cannot disagree. Self learning, in this case, not necessarily means that this will be the only mode of operations.

Good old rules and scenarios are available and they will be the default way of controlling the unit.

Our self-learning mode will automatically take control of the unit when (through our patented sensor) will recognize users too lazy to enter some basic information on their own! ;-)

- "Managed by iOS and Android".  I assume that means remote control, but they neglected to include web-based in their list.  Web control should be a priority, with iOS and Android apps available to duplicate (a subset of) the web-based features.

AquaDyne,

you are actually right. I has not been explained that there is a web API available.

ALYT will be controllable through a JSON on HTTP/HTTPS commands from any application.

I still have the doubt that you were referring to web configuration pages accessible via browser. Is it the case? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...