RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Linear Z-wave garage door contoller

schoondoggy

Very similar is design and purpose as the system you put together with the 120VAC relay.  The only difference here is there seems to be some built in funciontality to warn people that the door is going to move (audible and visual indicators).  Looks like this device also acts as a repeater.  Not sure if you relay offered the same function.

• 3 weeks later...

It's fairly easy to rig up a DIY garage door controller with any enabled relay/appliance-control module.  More important/useful would be a tilt sensor to tell you if the door is open or shut.

I looked at tilt sensors, but the reviews were not good for reliability.

I used a SmartThings Multi Sensor to tell me if the door is open or closed.

That's a shame on the tilt sensors although the price isn't that far off from the Multi Sensor.  With the MS you get a temperature reading as well! 

• 2 weeks later...

It's fairly easy to rig up a DIY garage door controller with any enabled relay/appliance-control module.  More important/useful would be a tilt sensor to tell you if the door is open or shut.

I have had a hard time getting the Multi to stay aligned. I just replaced it with a tilt sensor. So far so good.

http://www.amazon.com/ECOLINK-Z-Wave-Garage-Door-Sensor/dp/B00HGVJRX2

Back to Tilt!

What's the issue on the multi?  The 3M Sticky tape or garage door? The door is far from a perfect candidate for alignment in many cases.