RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Google works on home mesh network

schoondoggy

• 3 weeks later...

Grid systems already exist with Zwave, Zigbee, etc.  Google would do well to adopt an existing standard (e.g., Zigbee) and integrate it into their own devices.  If you arrive late to the party you can't invent your own standards and hope that everyone trashes their existing systems to join yours.

From my brief (1 week) time period owning a Nest, it only draws its power from your thermostat wires... hardly enough power to control a hub that talks to many devices.  I doubt Nest will become a hub, although it may be one device connected to a GoogleHub of some sort...

• 5 months later...

The fact that Google has been working on a comprehensive home hub is well known.

The announcement of the Thread initiative (a modified 6LowPan with mesh and IPV6 additions) confirms the point.

Google announced the Android@home concept at Google I/O 2011 showing an Android based hub as the center of SmartHome.

The presentation was rather extensive particularly when compared to the 1.5 minutes of the Apple announcement of homeKit.

See: 

What is less clear, at least to me, is why they ended up dropping the project and acquiring a thermostat black box company and even more why they insisted with DropCam.

The announcement of the Thread initiative (a modified 6LowPan with mesh and IPV6 additions) confirms the point.

I have my ideas but I would like to get your unbiased opinions.