RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gigabyte H55M-USB3 Questions

BlackCat

Since this board seems very popular over here I thought I would ask. For the Gigabyte H55M-USB3 board, is the Host Protected Area (HPA) settings in the bios disabled by default? Apparently Unraid does not play nice with Gigabyte boards that have HPA enabled by default. No one over there has tried/posted about this board so I don't know if HPA is disabled or not. Also, I found this on Gigabyte's website at the bottom of the specs page for this board: "Due to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors, please download Linux driver from chipset vendors' website or 3rd party website." Does that mean by default the board does not support Linux or a Linux based OS, but may possibly if you download drivers from the chipset vendors' website? And by chipset vendor are they talking about Intel if I'm using a Core I3? I can't find this info anywhere so I figured I try my luck here. Thanks

This a new one for me. I am sure you can run linux on a core I3 however the chipset is very new so you will have to get drivers from Intel. Can not answer the other you have sorry.

What speeds do the 2 Pci-E slots run at? One running x16 and the other running x4 or x1? I have seen conflicting answers. For instance here, http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/ga-h55musb3-h57musb3_3.html, it says the H55 does have 2 x16 slots, but one runs x16 and the other runs x1. Says you need to go to the H57 board to get x16 and x4. Here is one of many others that says x16 and x4, http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/motherboards/2011_4.html. Which one is correct?

On the GA-H55M-USB3, the #2 PCIe slot is X1. On the GA-H57M-USB3, the #2 PCIe slot is X4.

In unRAID, the X4 slot has plenty of bandwidth for a 8 port card. The X1 slot can handle a 4 port card or, it can handle a 8 port card if the drives are staggered between shares.

On the GA-H55M-USB3, the #2 PCIe slot is X1. On the GA-H57M-USB3, the #2 PCIe slot is X4.

In unRAID, the X4 slot has plenty of bandwidth for a 8 port card. The X1 slot can handle a 4 port card or, it can handle a 8 port card if the drives are staggered between shares.

Analog, thanks that helps clear things up. Now time to decide if I really want to spend the extra 80 for a board with the KVM over IP feature in IPMI to remotely shut this thing on and off and remain headless or stick with the gigabyte board...choices, choices.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know the steps for using the Jmicron (white) ports on the h55m-usb3 for RAID 1? I have not found it in the doc or online. If someone has a link they can point me toward it would be greatly appreciated.

When you have drives plugged in, what your system boot and it will show a screen that says press "Ctrl+J" which will allow you to go into the controller BIOS. Alternatively, you can download the J-Micro software from Gigagbyte. Chech your board version and go to their download site based on your OS. It is listed on the Sata2.

Version 2 64 bit vesion

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3442&dl=1#driver

When you have drives plugged in, what your system boot and it will show a screen that says press "Ctrl+J" which will allow you to go into the controller BIOS. Alternatively, you can download the J-Micro software from Gigagbyte. Chech your board version and go to their download site based on your OS. It is listed on the Sata2.

Version 2 64 bit vesion

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3442&dl=1#driver

Your are the man! Thanks that was it.