I am going to give SmartThings a try

schoondoggy

SmartThings had a 10% off sale, so I bought in;

Know and Control Your Home Kit

Detect Leaks and Floods

(Switches - 2 Pack) Automate Your Lights

SmartThings Shield for Arduino

GE Outdoor Light Plug-and-Control Power Outlet 

I was going to go with Revolv, but it looks like their Android app is not going to be out for a while.

Of course, the first one with WP support will win me over.

cskenney

I will be interested to hear what your experience is like.

What does the SmartThings Shield do?

Now you have really peaked my interest since I have an Arduino I mess around with from time to time.

Where did you see the 10% off?  Twitter?

cskenney

I saw the Twitter Valentines special about 10 hours after it expired.  I followed SmartThings on twitter so maybe they will have another deal soon.

Side note I also have a Raspberry Pi and an Arduino.  It's hard to keep up with all these hobbies though and this forum is making it worse.

schoondoggy

Smartthings has a new iOS app, they added a standard feature to advise you if your hub is off line and low battery warnings for your devices. Android app will have the same updates soon.

schoondoggy

Looks like I will get to play a bit this weekend:

yfs1.jpg[/url]

cskenney

I think I might have to jump into SmartThings.  I found this blog about notifications when your laundry is done http://blog.smartthings.com/news/smartthings-updates/know-when-your-laundry-is-done/

We seem to always have laundry that gets "forgot" in the washer or dryer at our house.  We can't turn on the audible reminder because my son things it's cool to then sit there and mess with the controls on the washer and dryer.  Hello SmartThings laundry notification!

schoondoggy

Interesting!

I was wonder how many appliances where z-wave or zigbee connected.

We are just starting to look at remodeling the kitchen. A connected stove could be cool.

schoondoggy

I think I might have to jump into SmartThings.  I found this blog about notifications when your laundry is done http://blog.smartthings.com/news/smartthings-updates/know-when-your-laundry-is-done/

We seem to always have laundry that gets "forgot" in the washer or dryer at our house.  We can't turn on the audible reminder because my son things it's cool to then sit there and mess with the controls on the washer and dryer.  Hello SmartThings laundry notification!

The laundry app works great, but a little slow. Within four minutes of the dryer stopping her phone got a text message!

schoondoggy

Just deployed the leak sensor.

I will work on light switches this weekend.