RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Getting started with cameras and monitoring

Dave

I was digging around in my shelves of unused gear and found two D-Link 932L's and a Foscam FI9810W PTZ camera.  Granted, these are not great cameras but I have them so why not put them to use.

I have installed ispyconnect.com's iSpy software and have all three cameras up and running.  I must say for free, with restrictions, the software is handy.  If anything it is educating me on the different aspects of running cameras, monitoring, etc.  My previous experience was with a Synology NAS using DS Cam.  The Synology supports many cameras depending on the unit but only ships with one license for a single camera.  A second license is $50 or there is a 4 pack for $200.

I've installed Axxis cameras for business customer and would love to have a few higher quality cameras but for now these will do.  I'm about to work on getting remote access to these and will go from there.

Anyone else us ispyconnect?

This post has been promoted to an article

SimonG156

I have an eyespy247 camera - I'm UK based - and they charge for alerts after a year. So I just ended up writing motion detection files to Dropbox on my WHS v1 and then writing ifttt rules to alert by email. They're too frequent for SMS. Remote access is a browser at the moment.

yodafett

I have used both strands and salient systems connect view. While I like strands lightweight os install the lack of updates has made me move to salient systems package. You can get a demo version with 4camera license for free and they do have an ios app not sure if they have a surface or droid version.