RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

LED and CFL exchange

schoondoggy

The more I play with LED and CFL lighting the more I like them. The problem with them is the light they give off  is different from incandescent bulbs. With the life expectancy of LED bulbs being up to 25 years, you may end up being stuck with a bulb you don't like for a long period of time. We should consider having an area in the forum to offer up used bulbs for sale or to be exchanged. If people are interested we may want to consider having an area to recommend bulbs we are currently using that we like and relate to why we like them. Example, it seems like the better CFL bulbs I buy the color and light quality is good but their turn on time is extremely slow. Oddly cheap CFL's seem to turn on relatively quickly. LEDs I have used so far have been Sylvania's that are rather harsh so we use them in the hallway, Duracell's cool white I am using in a reading lamp and 3M globes in the master bathroom.

Here is a list of LED and CFL with full specs:

https://data.energystar.gov/Government/ENERGY-STAR-Certified-Light-Bulbs/8qjd-zcsy?

As we gradually migrate to LED lighting, it is worth noting that the older conventions that we use for specifying brightness and colour are best ignored.

We tend to look for Watts for brightness and "Warm White" "Cool White" etc for colour.

Instead, we should be checking for Lumens and Colour Temperature.

For example:-

A 3500k 400 Lumen lamp would probably be best suited to a "Warm", soft decor with wood and red colours, giving off something like we would expect from an old 35w Tungsten Lamp.

Or

A 4000k 400 Lumen lamp would be best suited to a "Cool" or blue/white environment maybe a kitchen or bathroom depending of course completely on taste. Typically similar to a "Cool White" fluorescent lamp.

I have worked with retail lighting for many years and the LED transition has been a huge learning curve. What is best noted though is that the technology is moving at an incredible pace. Indeed 6 months will see several new generations being released. An awful lot of work has been done regarding the colour rendering and hence the colour temperature numbers are worth researching for our home environment needs.

After all said and done, it is our own personal preferences that count, however, the colour numbers can at least identify those preferences.

Understanding the lumen output is a bit harder as there are factors like glare to take into account. I resolve this by "over" specifying and ensuring that a dimmable solution is employed.

Another "pitfall" with LED is often encountered when employing existing dimmer switches. Some (most?) dimmers that are a few years old will not behave as expected with dimmable LED lamps. This is due to the type of waveform modification that the dimmer makes. Put simply, LED requires "Trailing Edge" type, as against the older (more common?) "Leading Edge" type. Anyway that explanation is probably best described more accurately by other better qualified persons than me. Suffice to say, check your existing or purchase a Trailing Edge dimmer switch for LED.

Hope that may help a little if anyone is confused by LED (as I certainly was)

I agree with listing what people have tried and liked even though we are all going to have our own opinion.

I absolutely hate buying CFL bulbs.  I installed 2 in my basement in my new house.  When they turn on they are too dim.  Wait a couple minutes and they finally reach full bright and work quite well.  My problem is I want to be able to turn on the switch and walk into my workshop area and grab something without feeling like the light is at 60% brightness.

I also had an LED floodlight over the sink in my old house.  Previously it was a standard incandescent and it generated a ton of heat.  It didn't need to be dimmablle so I tried a Philips (I think) LED flood light and it worked perfect.  It has a very slight delay when you turned in on (maybe 1 sec) but otherwise it worked great.

• 11 months later...

I agree that finding a good LED light might take time.  I've replaced about 19 recessed downlights (7 to go) with the Cree 6-in model from Home Depot. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-TrueWhite-6-in-65W-Equivalent-Soft-White-2700K-BR30-Dimmable-LED-Recessed-Down-Light-Bulb-H1CR6TW62527E04/204656359?N=5yc1vZbm79

The color is what we are used to, they are dimmable with traditional dimmers and use much less energy and generate very little heat.  95*F compared to 224*F of the traditional incandescent 65W flood.   I expect they will be installed a long time, so I've written the install date on them as I replace an older one.  

I'm wondering which dimmer switches will support LED dimming as it is different from incandescent.  Will a Leviton Z-wave model work?

I'm wondering which dimmer switches will support LED dimming as it is different from incandescent.  Will a Leviton Z-wave model work?

I am using GE/Jasco Z-wave dimmers with SmartThings.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have started using the 6" Cree LED's. I get the one that is the brightest (closest to being outside) as I hate yellow light. I don't remember the wattage but it was to replace 100w bulbs. My primary reason for switching os because I couldn't get the other bulbs to last 6 months. I am hoping the LED's last at least a couple years.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk