RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Vera Lite -- getvera.com

nleistad1489090434

nleistad1489090434

Building a HA system starting w/ the Vera Lite controller from what is now Vera Control, Ltd, formerly Mi Casa Verde.

The controller is not expensive, ~ $180 US, zwave based, battery powered in you need to pair w/ in-wall mounted peripherals.

Most of my switches are GE Z-Wave 3-way units. I have a couple of outlet units as well but so far, still in the box.

I believe I've got 6 or 7 different 3-way circuits controlling 2 outside light groups, garage, kitchen, dining area, entry and an interal halway. Seemed light good design when we built the house, but the GE switch units are big and stuffing that much equipment into the wall boxes has been daunting. Thus, not fully complete.

The re-wire of the 3-way circuit kept me quite befuddled, initially. Now, it's ok, but chaining grounds, bridging "hot" wires to fixtures adds to the complexity and congested state in the wall boxes.

I've had a programmable thermostat for years and don't find I've done much adjusting to it's programming save for the day-light time changes Spring & Fall. I'd like to HA my thermostat, but AverageGuy's recent program on Nest left me wanting the "in-compatible" and waiting for forward movement/announcements about what can be done with the Nest API. That may be another "stylish" investment.

Not sure I'll ever do my door locks "on the internet", but I'm tempted to test water sensors, motion sensors, and or adding cameras to the Synology DS I fell for after 2013 meetup. It's ALL pretty pricy, Had hoped that going w/ Z-Wave would protect the investment as I thought it was a pretty established standard. I believe that the Vera can be programmed to accept ZigBee if it's star rises. The build out will continue and I'll see how it goes.

Sure wish I wasn't subject to bouts of tech-ADD and what's been less fondly termed my tendencies towards 80-percent-itis.

Look forward to learning about other's experiences and HA plans.

schoondoggy

Great topic I as well am interested in what others are planning to do with home automation. Initially when I thought of home automation I instantly defaulted to security and cameras, an area that I'm currently not all that interested in. As I started reading up about Smartthings, Revolve and Vera, I am interested in automating mundane tasks. Geosensing on the revolve is very interesting to me. The idea that as I approach home the revolve could talk to my Nest thermostat and adjust the temperature in preparation for me arriving at home. Also I envision a home button to open the garage door, turn the garage light on, unlock the garage door into the house, turn on the light in the kitchen and then turn on the Sonos system. Moisture monitoring in the basement is a potential. I do have Nest Protect smoke and CO detectors, I would like to think at some point it could be programmed into a system to turn on the lights in the house at night when the Nest Protect alarms. Currently lighting is high on my list of items to automate as well. Doorlock's and a motion sensor may also be part of my plan. Currently I think I've narrowed down to buying the Revolve as soon as they have an Android app. Although I am still very intrigued by the Smartthings system. Last but not least I have a Raspberry pi and  an Intel Galileo. I think there can be some very fun projects to play with those two boards in an Home automation environment.

nleistad1489090434

Great topic I as well am interested in what others are planning to do with home automation. Initially when I thought of home automation I instantly defaulted to security and cameras, an area that I'm currently not all that interested in. As I started reading up about Smartthings, Revolve and Vera, I am interested in automating mundane tasks. Geosensing on the revolve is very interesting to me. The idea that as I approach home the revolve could talk to my Nest thermostat and adjust the temperature in preparation for me arriving at home. Also I envision a home button to open the garage door, turn the garage light on, unlock the garage door into the house, turn on the light in the kitchen and then turn on the Sonos system. Moisture monitoring in the basement is a potential. I do have Nest Protect smoke and CO detectors, I would like to think at some point it could be programmed into a system to turn on the lights in the house at night when the Nest Protect alarms. Currently lighting is high on my list of items to automate as well. Doorlock's and a motion sensor may also be part of my plan. Currently I think I've narrowed down to buying the Revolve as soon as they have an Android app. Although I am still very intrigued by the Smartthings system. Last but not least I have a Raspberry pi and  an Intel Galileo. I think there can be some very fun projects to play with those two boards in an Home automation environment.

Please update on the Revolv. As a Sonos owner and yearner for NEST, I'm following along. Saw the CES announcement and was ready to replace the Vera Lite, but Amazon reviews slowed me down. It sounded great and may very well get there ....