RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Revolv

schoondoggy

Wow!, do you think we are on the verge of an HA explosion? You only have to look at the connected devices on your router to realise how much "stuff" we have that is connected. Manufacturers of connected equipment are mostly releasing API's for their products now. Good times ahead I think. (I turned my house into a "Disco" the other day when I messed up a lighting control script on my RasPi, must try not to fix it when it isn't broken  :lol: )

I have the revolv on my list to look at when you showed me smartthings.  There is an explosion for sure, hence haforums.com!

schoondoggy

be still my heart,,,,,,

When will you support Android?
Revolv_Swirl_Sticker.png
Kristin Farries Golemon
December 18, 2013 16:50
Never fear, Android fans! Your time is nigh; once we’ve perfected Revolv for iPhone, development for Android will begin immediately, with Windows Phone and others to follow.
schoondoggy

Well more of research this I was small set to go with Smartthings but for me currently everything is adding up to go with Revolv.

It appears to me Smartthings is a great choice for hobbyists/DYI, but currently it looks like Revolv is more focused on Nest and Sonos, where I have a substantial investment.

Smartthings does offer geo-fencing in some form, but geo-sense from Revolv seems to be a bit more refined.

Chances are good I will probably buy one of each product to play and compare.

It would be difficult to go wrong with either company's architecture as both are fairly new companies.

I just need Revolv to come out with their android app.

• 7 months later...
greenawayj1489090435

Hey Schoondoggy --  

Did you actually move forward with trying out both Revolv and Smartthings?  Any thoughts for someone about to dive in headfirst.  We just bought a new house out here in CA and it's time to automate some things.  I'm OK with the $299 price for Revolv (though $100 would be better if they were clearly interchangable offerings).  My thinking is that Revolv seems to be a bit more flexible and does (or will) have a broader range of products covered as more radios are activated?   (no Bluetooth, but I think that's OK.)   Also the Insteon support seems to be a positive relative to Smartthings.  I haven't really fully explored the other 'cheaper' hubs from Staples (next gen not yet out), Lowes, HD (not out yet), but I'm open to pretty much whichever will offer greated bang for the $, flexibility, and ease of control or programming.  I heard these guys on Home: On podcast a few weeks back and it sounds promising, but I have not seen Revolv compared head-to-head against other options yet.  Dave Zatz recent bake-off, focused only on the $99 hubs and I'm wondering if Revolv is truly worth the extra $200...

I know Revolv has the 30 day money back warranty too...  so maybe I'll take a stab and see, but wanted to get your opinion and see if you tried both or chose one over the other.   I've been a HSS and HGG listener for a while, but today was my first foray into the HA forums.  So if you have addressed your progress and decision making in another thread since this January post, I apologize.  I haven't had too much time to browse around yet...

Thanks in advance.

John

schoondoggy

Hey Schoondoggy --  

Did you actually move forward with trying out both Revolv and Smartthings?  Any thoughts for someone about to dive in headfirst.  We just bought a new house out here in CA and it's time to automate some things.  I'm OK with the $299 price for Revolv (though $100 would be better if they were clearly interchangable offerings).  My thinking is that Revolv seems to be a bit more flexible and does (or will) have a broader range of products covered as more radios are activated?   (no Bluetooth, but I think that's OK.)   Also the Insteon support seems to be a positive relative to Smartthings.  I haven't really fully explored the other 'cheaper' hubs from Staples (next gen not yet out), Lowes, HD (not out yet), but I'm open to pretty much whichever will offer greated bang for the $, flexibility, and ease of control or programming.  I heard these guys on Home: On podcast a few weeks back and it sounds promising, but I have not seen Revolv compared head-to-head against other options yet.  Dave Zatz recent bake-off, focused only on the $99 hubs and I'm wondering if Revolv is truly worth the extra $200...

I know Revolv has the 30 day money back warranty too...  so maybe I'll take a stab and see, but wanted to get your opinion and see if you tried both or chose one over the other.   I've been a HSS and HGG listener for a while, but today was my first foray into the HA forums.  So if you have addressed your progress and decision making in another thread since this January post, I apologize.  I haven't had too much time to browse around yet...

Thanks in advance.

John

I did not get both hubs. I bought the Smartthings hub and started automating around that. My thought was for 99 bucks it would be a good way to start and I fully realize I will probably need a different hub somewhere down the line. That said all of the components I have chosen have been the Z wave or zigbee so they will be usable with pretty much any other hub that I get. I like the Smartthings hub, it is a little complex I feel like when I'm going to work on something I need to spend a little time refreshing myself on how things work. 

One thing I may recommend if you haven't already is listen to Home: on podcasts. Most of the last five podcasts have had some section on hubs for home automation and where things are going with hubs. The thing I would still like to compare between Revolv and Smartthings would be ease-of-use. Another note that held me back on Revolv was at the time they only had an iPhone app and I am not an iPhone guy. 

Before you buy a hub of any kind set down and determine what types of things you would like to do with home automation. Some of the things I've done is replace light switches so that I can control on off and timing, I've replaced my door locks with automated locks, added a garage door sensor, I've added temperature sensors and sensors to show if doors are opened or closed. I've always chosen those products to be Z-wave or Zigbee so that I can move them to pretty much any other hub that I would want. You may want to start a thread just chatting about what your thoughts are I'm sure you'll get a lot of input from guys on the board here I'm happy to help in anyway I can.

greenawayj1489090435

Thanks Schoondoggy, 

I'm definitely already listening to "Home: On" so I've been trying to absorb and make some calls based on a few of those recent episodes you've been referring to.

On a whim, (and very surprisingly given my initial thinking), I actually just bought the dual-band Insteon hub as my 'placeholder' hub - at least to try out during the return period.   Mainly, I was considering that there would be some benefit of having both wireline and RF control signals in my fairly large house.  I don't know if that's true or not, but it intuitively made sense.  Also, from an RF perspective, each device becomes a repeater in the mesh network (not sure if that's also true for Zigbee or ZWave and know it's not true for wifi-based devices).  This was also partly based on posts and podcast discussions from @pcdoc and @tinkertry experience and discussion during a BYOB podcast as well as their respective posts on their personal blogs.

I do think Revolv may be the eventual route I go for a fully integrated and potentially cross-platform solution including the 3 Hues I currently have.  So Revolv would support insteon controls as well assuming that is my route.  I bought the Insteon starter kit for $117 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMUFTPC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which included the hub, 2 dimmer lamp modules, and 1 motion sensor.  I also bought an outside on/off module to control my front driveway lights on a sunset-10pm schedule.   Finally, I also have 2 Insteon IP outdoor cams arriving in the next few days to watch over my driveway and pool areas.  I think the next step for me will be to install some dimmer switches and motion sensors for some specific hallway lighting at night to turn on a night-light mode when someone exits a bedroom.  I suppose I could do most of this using smartthings and zigbee / ZWave devices too.  I'm wondering if anyone can suggest why those technologies would be better to use than Insteon?  I'm open to suggestions / ideas.  I just got a little itchy and pulled the trigger on Insteon primarily based on the dual band communications aspect.

Thanks again.  Hopefully I can get a little more involved in this forum as I spread my wings on this.  I have chatted with Jim C about coming back on the HGG podcast in a month or two to talk about my home automation ramp up experiences, choice, mistakes, etc...