RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Size of system partition on WHS

joem

I remember that when I built my first WHS that it was indicated the hard disk that houses the WHS OS should be at least as big as any subsequent hard disk or disks you use for replication? Does that still hold true? If I have a 1 gig OS disk is it not possible to have any additional drives larger than that? Thanks.

Not true any longer. The early versions of WHS would use a landing zone on the system drive. Now you can use a small hard drive for the system drive. WHS will create a partition on the system drive and use the rest as part of the data pool. The system drive data area is only used for file duplication if you have 2 drives (1 system drive and 1 data drive). If you have 3 drives installed and turn on duplication, WHS will try and perform the duplication between the 2 storage drives before putting anything in the data partition on the system drive.

• 2 weeks later...

depends what you want to use the imaging software for. AFAIK, you cannot use it as a means of backing up your system drive. The tombstone files for all the data files in the storage pool are kept on the C: drive. If you replace the system drive with an older imaged one, the tombstone files will be incorrect and the system will be borked.

Not true any longer. The early versions of WHS would use a landing zone on the system drive. Now you can use a small hard drive for the system drive. WHS will create a partition on the system drive and use the rest as part of the data pool. The system drive data area is only used for file duplication if you have 2 drives (1 system drive and 1 data drive). If you have 3 drives installed and turn on duplication, WHS will try and perform the duplication between the 2 storage drives before putting anything in the data partition on the system drive.

Do you need to have all three drives hooked up during install, or can you just have the smaller drive first, then hook up the rest afterwards? If all three needs to be hooked up, can you specify which drive to use as the system drive?