RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

IDE DVDRW to SATA on ASUS Ion MOBO?

Jason Chafin

Hi,

I've followed both the Homeserver Show and BYOB podcasts for a while, but this is my first forum post. As the subject line indicates, I've got an HTPC homebuild based on the Asus Ion MOBO with the ATOM 330 chip. I've had it running nearly a year now. It only has SATA onboard and I've got a decent IDE HP DVDRW I'd like to use with it. I have two different brands of IDE-SATA/SATA-IDE converters, but can't seem to get the MOBO to recognize the drive no matter which configuration I use. Until recently, I had a 160GB IDE HDD connected to this MOBO in this fashion. It *mostly* worked, but occasionally on restart (e.g. after software update) I'd get an "unrecognizable start-up error, please use proper startup and press any key to restart" (or something to that effect). Formerly, I'd then have to physically switch off the machine, wait a sec or two, switch back on, and it boots up fine. Well, that was formerly. It wasn't really broke, but I decided to fix it anyway, ended up unplugging the IDE HDD for whatever reason and upon reconnecting could not get the MOBO to recognize THAT drive either! Every boot would encounter the same non-boot-drive error. I'd been interested in solid state drives anyway, so picked up an Intel 40 GB for a decent price and re-installed from a backed up WHS image. Works like a charm and the SSD is much snappier. But this still leaves me with my original question, which is how do I get my MOBO to recognize my IDE DVDRW? It's still a decent appliance and I'd love to put it to use!

Thanks,

Herm71

I have not tried the IED/SATA adaptors before, so I am not familiar with that option.

I have used an USB to SATA/IDE adaptor though with great success.

This would be an option to get your IDE DVDRW working thru an USB port. It might require some cable work though. To stay all internal, USB header to USB jack to USB-IDE/SATA plug.

I have used this USB-IDE/SATA adaptor with excellent results.

Honestly, I would not buy hardware or adapters to make use of an IDE device. You are better on spending $20 and getting a sata version. It is safer and more reliable and allot less hassle. My two cents.

Honestly, I would not buy hardware or adapters to make use of an IDE device. You are better on spending $20 and getting a sata version. It is safer and more reliable and allot less hassle. My two cents.

Thanks for the advice. As I said, I've already got two adapters that don't seem to do the trick, so I'm not in a hurry to go buy something else that may or may not work. It's not crucial, as I can rip CDs to my WHS via another machine and just view the content on my HTPC. Been doing that for the past year. I just have this decent DVDRW laying around that could still be used. Oh well, perhaps in another build. Thanks for the response.