RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Sys Drive Failing - I Don't Believe You v1!

N_Nescio

Ok, I just rebuilt my v1 server using current tech (the old one was based on a N8N Neo 2...LOL). The Sys drive is a brand new Samsung Spinpoint 320G drive. Before install, I formatted the slow way (opposite of quick format). When that was done, I ran Spinrite at Level 5 (yeah, yeah, but I own it). I then installed WHS. After Install I ran chkdsk Scan and Fix, as well as Check for Bad Sectors. All was A-OK. It is my coolest running drive @ 28'C, BIOS SMART says all is well, Home Server SMART Add-In says all is well, and SpeedFan's extensive SMART diagnostic says all is well.....

WHS pops up "Sys Drive Is Failing" every 2 weeks. I repair and it is fine...for about 2 weeks.

I have no NTFS errors, or Disk errors in Event Viewer (as a matter of fact, I have almost 0 errors in every category of Event Viewer...even the dreaded cqvsvc.exe error). I also deleted the health.xml file, and had WHS re-create it.

Does anyone have any idea what the heck is going on? I don't believe WHS.

Thanks,

P

It happens after running for the same amount of time _ about 2 weeks. It doesn't clear by itself. The last time, I did notice some file system errors repaired during chkdsk...now how is the file system becoming damaged (no hard resets, no power loss, etc...) on a server just chugging away in a closet?

P

• 2 weeks later...

Hi N_Nescio.

My WHS does this once in a while too; not regularly like yours, but every so often. I too run spinrite to certify my drives (and I offer no apologies for it; SR has saved many many drives for me over the years), so I'm confident the drives are OK. I have put this down to WHS file system glitches. I suspect some of the tombstoning gets borked and it requires a repair run to correct. I have never lost any data at all because of it and, after the repair is run and the system rebooted, it always comes up clean again. For me it is no longer an item of concern; I just run the repair and move on.