RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

'Death RAID'

c0op3r

That's right, I like to live on the edge of disaster! I am currently running a Western Digital Velociraptor 150Gig as my OS/Program drive on my workstation, but lately even with the pruning and maintaining I am somewhere between 100 and 120 gigs used. So I was thinking about getting another one and setting up Raid 0 (aka Death Raid).

So my question is this; if I backup just before I shut the workstation down, and add the the 2nd Velociraptor in the RAID 0 configuration, is the backup/restore program going to have a problem with restoring to that configuration from the single 150 'raptor?

Are you doing a hardware raid on the onboard, or discreet, or a software raid? If either of the 2 former, as long as you have the drivers, you should be fine.

Are you doing a hardware raid on the onboard, or discreet, or a software raid? If either of the 2 former, as long as you have the drivers, you should be fine.

Im going to use an on board RAID controller.

I'll take a guess and say that you'll be using the Intel Matrix Storage Manager. You should be able to add the drive, start back up, and migrate your existing drive to a RAID 0 setup w/o a restore.

Well the drive should be here soon, I will do a full backup (just in case) and try it out, if the works like you said that would be outstanding!

Well got my drive today, did a backup of my workstation and installed the drive. No problems there, setup the RAID 0 everything went ok there too. Made a restore disk for the WHS server, boot it up and went through the steps, well it tells me it cant find the server.

I have done the Driver Folder copy to a USB key, Download the Network Card Drivers from the website, etc etc nothing, I know that the server is on the network as I backed up to it before changing over, I even did a quick re-install of Win7 to see if the machine saw the server OK and it did.

Anyone got any ideas?

How are you connected over the network? Have you tried directly connecting, or doing so with no other device on the network?

How are you connected over the network? Have you tried directly connecting, or doing so with no other device on the network?

The normal connection is a Linksys Router (WRT54G) to a Linksys switch BEFSR81, which works fine normally. But I did move the WHS to the WRT54, which is the same switch that the Workstation is on and still no go.

I did not try direct connect (via a Crossover cable but that should not make a difference).