RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Grid Junction/UPS/monitoring software - what are you using?

dvn

OK, this is more of a survey than anything. I have a couple of UPS's but they're not connected via USB or whatever to my computers. So I need a solution (not too expensive) that'll properly shut down my computers in case of power outage. Especially my MSS. So...

Who's using Grid Junction, and what UPS/software do you use with it? Problems? Pluses?

Hi! I'm Mike Biel, and I've been running a HP MSS EX495 for about a month or so now. I've installed Grid Junction and a APC Back-UPS ES-750. Currently I don't have the USB cable attached to the server, because I was trying to diagnose a problem and thought that might be it. According to the HP documentation, UPS via the USB cable is not supported, so I kind of wonder if that was the problem. One of these days I'll reattach the USB cable and see if everything works, but for the time being, I'm using a passive UPS.

/Mike

APC shipped with Powerchute software for many years...it would do an shutdown when the UPS level hit a certain level. If you have and APC brand UPS you may be able to downlod the Powerchute software from their site but it is kind of basic.

@cskenney - Thanks for the info and links. I have an APC Back-UPS ES 550. I just can't find the USB to RJ45 cable that came with it. Looks like I'm going to be buying another.

@Mike - Yes, I saw that documentation, too. I know that John Zajdler uses it, so I assume it works fine. How are you liking that EX495?

@Vulcan - Cool. That's all I'm looking for as far as functionality. Thanks.

An APC model that I bought at Sam's Club. Using the included PowerChute software which seemed to work fine when we lost power the other day.

Let me go look. I have a drawer for network cables, and a drawer for external computer cables. I'm curious which of those bins I put it in. I'm guessing the latter. We'll see though. I have an 8.33% chance of getting it right, but realistically 50%. Dun dun dun.

EDIT: Well apparently I must have tossed the cable because it isn't in my assortment of cables. Sorry about that. Either that or maybe I'll find it in a few years. Heh.

@dvn. Hey! I'm liking the EX495 very much. So far I haven't done a lot with it other than add a few add-ins and configure those. As I mentioned earlier, I had some trouble with the connector software on my laptop, so I removed the McAfee AV add-in reinstalled the connector and all seems good now. I do plan on reattaching the UPS USB cable and see if all goes well. Here in the near future I'll be using the WHS for backing up 2 laptops and a desktop, and also ripping and storing all my dvds on it so I can stream them.

/Mike