RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Thinking About Transitioning Our Graphics Dept From Macpros To Dell Workstations

callihan44

You can imagine the looks on the artists face when I suggested this, mainly due to our 2012 mac pro desktops breaking down due to motherboard-ram issues left and right. Yeah the OS runs somewhat trouble free but once you enter hardware failures you cant just hop on over to newegg.com and order up a power supply and whatnot. We run mainly adobe photoshop and illustrator and a couple of old font programs that we will have to convert to pc versions. With multiple machines having the same issues I think im done dealing with apples overpriced machines breaking down after 4 years of service.

• Like 1

I think you already know this but just to throw it out there....

Just remember that a $499 Dell (or your vendor of choice) will NEVER accomplish what a Mac can do. You will always need to look at a similar class of PC which means spending in the same price range as the Mac. You can find comparable workstations from reputable manufacturers (I prefer Lenovo) for a lot less than the Mac. Not to mention the upgradability, and repairabilty costs are substantially lower.

I think you already know this but just to throw it out there....

Just remember that a $499 Dell (or your vendor of choice) will NEVER accomplish what a Mac can do. You will always need to look at a similar class of PC which means spending in the same price range as the Mac. You can find comparable workstations from reputable manufacturers (I prefer Lenovo) for a lot less than the Mac. Not to mention the upgradability, and repairabilty costs are substantially lower.

yeah we don't buy the cheap dell models, only their higher end workstations with quad-core xeon processors , discrete graphics cards and lots of ram is a must. We also have some mixed in Lenovo models which I tend to prefer over dell however we have several precision T3600 models that run the most trouble free out of all of them for years now