RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What Remote Access Software or Service Do You Use?

PCEddie

I am currently using the free version of Teamviewer to remote into my WHS. Are there other free or cheaper options? I am aware that I can setup WHS to remote into it but I don't want to open ports on my network.

Thanks for any information.

I tried the Citrix GoToAssist that was sponsoring the podcast, but I was not pleased with it. The main problem that I had with it was that the user on the other end could not see the mouse movements that I was doing. He was able to see the effect of what I was selecting, but mouse cursor would not show up.

I am currently using a commercial product by Bomgar. It is pricey though and not something that I would recommend for an individual user, but if you have several clients that you need to support worldwide, this is an excellent service.

I'm just using plain old RDP.

Ofcourse i have some semi-clever firewall rules in place so the whole world doesn't get to hammer my servers logins. Works wonders and is built in into practicly every windows installation there is.

There's even an Android client, which i haven't tested yet, which apparently works quite well.

Ofcourse i have some semi-clever firewall rules in place so the whole world doesn't get to hammer my servers ...

Care to expand on your rules that you have in place?

Well basicly I have allowed two IP addresses (my shellhosts servers) to access port 3389 and when I need to access my computer, I create an ssh tunnel to shell server which forwards traffict to my IP and point the RDP client to that tunnel.

Somewhat crude, but it works :)