RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How To Free Some Space In Surface Rt?

EON1488993291

EON1488993291

Hello!

I have a Surface RT (32 GB) and it only has 1.69 GB of space left on the HD. The thing is that I have almost nothing on it (just a few apps that I check and do NOT take a lot of space, and small files), so I don't know what is taking so much space. Does anyone knows where is all that memory going? I have not being able to find it (I have checked the size of the apps, delete the trash can, delete the internet history/cookies)...

Also, I want to upgrade to Windows 8.1. These are the two ways that I have think of doing it, but I will like your opinion on which option is better (or if there is a better way):

Plan 1: take the tablet to its original status (in PC settings > General > Remove everything and reinstall Windows), move the recovery files to a thumb drive (http://www.surfacegeeks.net/forums/index.php?/topic/192-surface-rt-how-to-free-up-4-gigabytes-of-storage-space-on-your-rt/), and do all updates to take it to Windows 8.1

Plan 2: free some space by moving the recovery files to a thumb drive, make the upgrade to Windows 8.1, run a cleanup disk and defragment the drive

Making a backup of the files in the tablet is easy b/c there is not much in it, but my main concerns for the process are: I am going to loose microsoft office? is it going to ask me for any key/license number (if I ever had one, I don't know where it is)? anything else that I am missing?

Thanks!

EON

Also, try compressing the hard drive, that may help as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• Al_Borges
      By Al_Borges
      For sale , Microsoft Surface 3 tablet , 4 gigs memory, 128 gig storage
      good  used condition

includes
      Urban Armor Gear scout case for surface 3
      Blue type cover for surface 3
      Surface 3 pen
      and charger/cable

Asking $200 Plus actual shipping from Central Indiana, USA 

I love the tablet, but had to get an Ipad so I could facetime with my granddaughter !
    • andypdm
      By andypdm
      Hello everybody!

I have a Surface Pro 4 i7 with 512GB which was very expensive! After a couple of months I have noticed that sometimes when I put it to sleep it won't wake up and I have to reset the whole thing. I love the device and use it a lot, and I twitted Microsoft and they contacted me and say that I have to replace it... I am OK with that but I live in UK and the service is from USA, they say they do not have my device and have to send me a refurbished one, on the other hand I can see the UK store has my model. 

My question is, what do you guys think of refurbished devices? Does it affect the performance? I am not too annoyed about the issue, I just do not put it to sleep anymore, but on the other hand it is annoying that a new and expensive item does not work properly. What would you guys do? I mostly use my Surface to draw with Illustrator and Photoshop... 

I would appreciate any short of advice and help!

Thank you very much!
    • Dewain27
      By Dewain27
      Hello Surface Geeks.  I listen to your podcast and you asked for people to post what they have from a Windows 8 perspective.  Let me first preface this that I am a Microsoft employee.  I have been with the company for 8 years and may be a little partial if you ask me about things.  I can't give details about futures of Microsoft, but I can definately give you details about experiences and what I see.  Here is the list of my current Windows 8 machines:

Surface Pro 128 GB - Primary Work machine (Type Cover) w/ Plugable USB 3.0 Docking station Surface RT 64 GB (2) 32 (2) - Primary Content Consumption Device w/ 64 GB SD and Type Cover Asus ZenBook Prime Touch UX31A - Primary Personal Laptop used for DJing and Lighting Design Samsung DP500A2D-A02UB All-In-One with Touch screen Gateway 23" All-In-One with Touch screen Dell XPS Workstation w/ Dual 22" screens one being a Dell Touchscreen Monitor Samsung Series 9 First Gen Laptop Samsung Series 7 Slate w/ docking station Gateway DX4840-11e Desktop Fujitsu Stylistic Q550 Slate w/ docking station Lenovo W510 Laptop - Old Work Laptop My current phone is a Nokia Lumia 920, however I have had the following phones as well:
      Samsung Focus Samsung Focus S Nokia Lumia 900 HTC 8X Other items that might be of interest:
      (6) Xbox 360 consoles - Used for Media Extenders and Gaming Dedicated Home Made Media Center Machine Dedicated Windows Home Server HDHomerun Prime w/ 6 HD Cable Feeds and (2) Cable Cards Smithson Martin DVS 32" - http://www.smithsonmartin.com/dvs/ I have a pretty elaborate setup for things and have made it quite simple for household activity, but figured that I would see what questions this list of items would spur...

Oh, and for those that are not Microsoft people.  I do keep a stock of other items that I leverage to understand the the competitor solutions such as:

MacBook Pro w/ dual SSD drives 13" non-retina iPad v1 iPod 4th Gen Nexus 7 32 GB Asus Transformer 16 GB  
      Ok, enough about the hardware... Questions?

Dewain
    • usacic
      By usacic
      I have been having lots of issues with my Surface 2, 90% of the time I reboot or boot my surface it requests my bitlocker key. Is anyone else having this issue? Did anyone manage to fix it?
    • JBresky
      By JBresky
      I got my Surface RT a few weeks after release. Had my husband take one home to Sweden from New York. One thing I still have not got to work well is how to use the SD card in a good way. For example, how do I get media like music and video to show up in the metro/modern interface apps. As Of now I have to open up one song at a time from the file menu and not a playlist or album.
      /Johan