RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How To Free Some Space In Surface Rt?

EON1488993291

Hello!

I have a Surface RT (32 GB) and it only has 1.69 GB of space left on the HD. The thing is that I have almost nothing on it (just a few apps that I check and do NOT take a lot of space, and small files), so I don't know what is taking so much space. Does anyone knows where is all that memory going? I have not being able to find it (I have checked the size of the apps, delete the trash can, delete the internet history/cookies)...

Also, I want to upgrade to Windows 8.1. These are the two ways that I have think of doing it, but I will like your opinion on which option is better (or if there is a better way):

Plan 1: take the tablet to its original status (in PC settings > General > Remove everything and reinstall Windows), move the recovery files to a thumb drive (http://www.surfacegeeks.net/forums/index.php?/topic/192-surface-rt-how-to-free-up-4-gigabytes-of-storage-space-on-your-rt/), and do all updates to take it to Windows 8.1

Plan 2: free some space by moving the recovery files to a thumb drive, make the upgrade to Windows 8.1, run a cleanup disk and defragment the drive

Making a backup of the files in the tablet is easy b/c there is not much in it, but my main concerns for the process are: I am going to loose microsoft office? is it going to ask me for any key/license number (if I ever had one, I don't know where it is)? anything else that I am missing?

Thanks!

EON

Also, try compressing the hard drive, that may help as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk