RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Video Card for Multiple Monitors

cskenney

I thought I would throw this one out for feedback from the forums. I have a Dell Inspiron 580 tower with a Core i3-530 CPU. It has Windows 7 Home Premium and this is my main desktop PC that I bought about 6 months ago for $300 from Dell Outlet. I use a multiple monitor setup at work with my laptop and I would really like to do the same thing at home with my desktop. I currently use the built in graphics adapter.

What do you guys suggest for adding a graphics card for additional monitors? I want to add 1 or 2 monitors to the existing for a total of 3 (possibly). At a minimum I would like to have 2 monitors and more would just be a bonus. I am not a gamer so I am not looking for anything like that. I basically want to extend my desktop so I can be doing more activities at the same time without having to shuffle windows around.

Thoughts????

Guest no-control

How many slots do you have avail? What type? What are the monitor interfaces, VGA,DVI,DP, HDMI?

I would first try to run one off the IGP then add in a cheap PCI or PCIe card for the other 2. If you're looking to run all 3 off one card you'll need a displayport monitor and an AMD HD5xxx series card. Or you can just run 2 cheap PCie cards.

4 slots available. 1 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 1 PCI. I don't have the monitors yet but I talked with Tim Daleo and Diehard this morning and Tim talked about his 4 monitor setup.

I am probably leaning toward getting a monitor from Dell with a DVI connector. The monitor I have is also a DVI connector (I connect it now through a DVI to HDMI adapter to the HDMI port on the Dell).

Any card that has dual DVI outputs should be fine. "Some" internal adapters shut down when you add a card but most will work fine. You did not mention you budget so I am assuming you want to keep if fairly low. I would not suggest you go too low however so something like this would be the minimum..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130378

You would be better off with something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134119&cm_re=gts_450-_-14-134-119-_-Product

I think Tim just pick up a GTS450.

For this king of application, I've always been a big fan of the ATI cards. Depending on your budget, the 57xx or 58xx line of cards have lots of connectors on them for multi-monitor setups and terrific bluray playback.

The HIS cards come with a somewhat dated ICE-Q cooler design, but they are extremely quiet and very reliable...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161333

I think right now I'd buy the new 68xx line instead of the 57xx or 58xx. They run cooler and hopefully quieter. I have 3 24" monitors and an HDTV I'm planning on powering from a single 6850 next month.

I think right now I'd buy the new 68xx line instead of the 57xx or 58xx. They run cooler and hopefully quieter. I have 3 24" monitors and an HDTV I'm planning on powering from a single 6850 next month.

Yeah. Without a price point, I just went with what I would spend. $150 seems to be a value niche for me and is about what I would be willing to spend on a multi-monitor card for an i3. Just be careful of any power requirements as the Dell desktops are notorious for including underpowered supplies.

I meant to post after reading everyone's comments. You guys are funny as each person who added a comment seemed to be increasing the cost of the video card they recommended.

I haven't decide yet...maybe I will see a deal on Friday. I am concerned about power...my PC only has a 300 watt PSU. Right now I think my budge is about $100 max. I might go higher but the more expensive cards tend to need more power and I really don't need the high end on my desktop.