RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
WolfJT

Microsoft Services In The Enterprise

WolfJT

I work for a large technology company. We are using office 365. I personally love MS services, OneDrive, OneNote the whole shebang. I find getting others to jump in and modernize workflow rather daunting. I constantly try to share spreadsheets, schedules, and other work related files through OneDrive, and to use Office to collaborate on documents. I find it almost impossible to get people to utilize theses tools. I still get people asking me about schedules through email instead of looking in an updated spreadsheet that they have a share to. A lot of people want to use Box, or Dropbox and the like. I am stunned at the lack of knowlege people have about MS services.

I'm very interested in what others see in their workplace.

schoondoggy

My company has deployed O365 and I agree, I love it, but lots of our users don't get it. Last week I facilitated a discussion with ten CIO's and their response was similar. Microsoft has a great suite of products, but too many users are stuck in their habits, DropBox, Google,,,,

For our company, IT is on a data integrity and security crusade, basically telling users, we have given you company approved tools, stop using unauthorized tools. The concern I have is, our CIO approved O365, if people don't use it, it could go away. My team has embrace all aspects of O365, Sharepoint integration, Team Sites, Skype, Video, OneDrive, OneNote. Any project one of my engineers leads will have a Team Site with all of the data and tools to collaborate. Meetings are done with Skype, notes are in OneNote. Now our VP of Marketing asked Engineering to teach them to do the same. I have had good luck with this 'champion' kind of use. I can't tell you the number of times I am on a call with a team starting a new project and while they are moaning about how to collaborate I am setting up the site and linking team members. Next thing they know they are ready to go.

The web interface to O365 is great, access to all of my stuff from any computer. I am typing this on my Surface 3 at 35,000 feet thanks to Southwest WiFi. I have the Edge browser open with O365 working great.

• Like 1

pfinter

I've been the major engineer pushing the use of OneNote in my department. I started using it back in 2007 and I mainly used it as a private note taking software tool. Starting with office 2010, I was heavy using it and instrumental in bringing others on my team on board setting up team notebooks to share information. My department manager is finally getting on board and sees the value of the tool.  I've been tasked with teaching others in the department about OneNote. Everyone that I show the tool are amazed by all the functionality.

Others that say we need to put all our notes in Jira or some other tool, don't understand the capabilities of using a collaborative tool like OneNote. Generally, these are the non-producers in the group that still keep there notes in word, email or worse on paper notebooks that they misplace. Some notes make sense to place in tools like Jira or Sharepoint or a team website. But, a collaborative tool like OneNote beats those tools  hands down for working with a team and searching for information on things that you don't want to expose to a corporate and/or client audience.

callihan44

I use onenote almost exclusively with a bit of word thrown in here and there, also being automatically backed up on one drive is nice to be able to pull up a doc anywhere and modify on the spot. Unfortunately not everyone around here has embraced it

WolfJT

I use onenote almost exclusively with a bit of word thrown in here and there, also being automatically backed up on one drive is nice to be able to pull up a doc anywhere and modify on the spot. Unfortunately not everyone around here has embraced it

I don't know what it is. Is it lack of marketing? Enterprise has bought into Office 365 but in my organization I'd say 50% of the benefits aren't being used. It's fascinating.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

schoondoggy

When our company rolled out O365, my team was excited, they are engineers and they know what it can do. Shortly after launch, I sent an email to our VP of IT letting him know how happy my 50 engineers were to have all the great tools. Then I asked when he was going to train the other 10,000 employees. I can only speak for the company I work for, but over the last 15 years they have provided Office and now O365 and they never train anyone on the tools. I don't expect Word or Excel training, but how about OneNote, OneDrive and Team Site? I don't think marketing would help, but it would be a good idea for Microsoft to provide IT departments with best practice training for O365 users.

• Like 1

WolfJT

When our company rolled out O365, my team was excited, they are engineers and they know what it can do. Shortly after launch, I sent an email to our VP of IT letting him know how happy my 50 engineers were to have all the great tools. Then I asked when he was going to train the other 10,000 employees. I can only speak for the company I work for, but over the last 15 years they have provided Office and now O365 and they never train anyone on the tools. I don't expect Word or Excel training, but how about OneNote, OneDrive and Team Site? I don't think marketing would help, but it would be a good idea for Microsoft to provide IT departments with best practice training for O365 users.

That's a great point, training should be actually required for the sales and any non tech employees.

callihan44

I don't know what it is. Is it lack of marketing? Enterprise has bought into Office 365 but in my organization I'd say 50% of the benefits aren't being used. It's fascinating.

some people resist change and get set in their ways, I live for the day to never see another excel spreadsheet again...

I will also say some companies do not want to disrupt workflow and they view a slow down of people adapting as negative