RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
kidgalactus

Is Surface Pro 2 Still A Viable Option To Replace Vivotab Note?

kidgalactus

Hey guys. My VivoTab Note 8 finally conked out completely, and I'm looking to replace it. I love the machine, but hardware woes have made me really hesitant about picking up another one. 

I've been circling a certified refurb Surface Pro 2 as a possible replacement, but it's a few years old, and I'm not sure how the hardware holds up. I work in PhotoShop, and with Manga Studio, mostly doing line work, and some color work (but not intense multi-layer painting). 

Would a Surface Pro 2 be an alright replacement for the VivoTab, or does the age of the hardware make it a lousy choice? 

Thanks for any help. 

SurfaceProArtist

Anything you could do on your old VivoTab you'll be able to do much better on a Surface Pro 2. It's not an ideal form factor (too heavy, too thick, runs hot, etc) but it's far better equipped than the AVTN8 and uses the same Wacom EMR pen tech vs. newer Surface Pros that use N-Trig.

kidgalactus

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

I think I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on this, then.

Just wasn't sure if there were some drawbacks/common problems I should know about (like the vivotab's digitizer issues).

Thanks again!

SurfaceProArtist

Hope it works out for you (and that you don't pay too much for it).

pfinter

Definitely, manage your expectations. The much older tech and form factor may be a turnoff. But, it should get the job done. SP3 and SP4 are much better if you don't need the Wacom technology. Battery life will be disappointing too. But, it you use it plugged in, you should be happy compared to the VivoTab.

thelilgeek

Definitely, manage your expectations. The much older tech and form factor may be a turnoff.

Besides the screen and pen tech, and minor tweaks in the ram and ssd tech, what is "much older tech" in the SP2? The cpus are both haswell, and the i5 on the SP3 is only a minor speed improvement upon the one in the SP2.

Now, the selection is a different story. The range of device configurations is obviously much better on the newer devices, which was the only reason I hesitated buying my SP2.

kidgalactus

Hope it works out for you (and that you don't pay too much for it).

Just wanted to say thanks again for the recommendation! Refurb only cost me around 300 bucks, and it's about a thousand times the machine my VivoTab was. Pretty happy with it. 

Would any of you happen to have any tips to get photoshop to work properly on it? manga Studio 5 is running like a dream, but I still need to finish pieces in my old copy of CS4. Problem is, cursor freezes whenever the stylus touches the canvas. Running the feel driver (ver 7.32-1.2), and it is still borked. 

Pretty stumped about how to fix it. 

SurfaceProArtist

Sorry, I doubt there's much you can do to improve performance of a program that old. Have you considered the Photoshop CC Photography subscription? It's only $10 per month for PS and Lightroom.

axoid

You might consider looking at the Surface 3 (non-Pro). You would still have an atom processor, but bigger better screen and it is still a currently supported platform. Killer battery life.