RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
WolfJT

From Windows Phone To Android, A Look At A Non Tech Perspective

Dave

I think the 6P is phenomenal.  Best Android experience to date and I started back on 2.0.  I talk to Google all the time for scheduling, etc.  It works so very well.  I hate opening the calendar and adding appointments.  I just tell the goog to do it.

I use MS apps and love the Android app to approve MS authentication.  I like default android experience and will probably not go back to LG.  I can't stand the Samsung experience.  I use SwiftKey keyboard and it knows every word I want to use. Finger print reader is super fast and games are great.  Boom Beach, Risk, Mobile Strike. That's what I have on there now.  I pin stuff to the home screen all the time. Especially people. Amazon Music Player FTW.  Lastly, photos by google is amazing.  It has a search bar so you can search by face or you can type in a word.  Dog is easy. Get photos of dogs.  I typed in Pisa once and it showed me all my photos from Italy when we visited leaning tower of pisa.  All googley fast. 

• Like 1

WolfJT

Is the MS store windows launcher an overlay that makes Android look like windows phone 8. If yes, how do you like it. Does it have tiles that change or are they static.

How do you like the 6p. I am thinking about abandoning windows phone now.

No, I've not found anything that turns Android into a Windows phone overlay. The MS Arrow launcher is very close. In that it allows you to find apps by alphabetical order among other cool features

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Dave

There are a few in the store but they are all pretty sad.  You will not like them.  Embrace the the Google Now launcher or try the Microsoft one.  Do what you can do with widgets but try not to go wild with them.  I have two pages, well technically 3 with Google Now as one.

My home screen which has all the basics I use. I have a couple of widgets here as well but try to keep the home screen open so I can enjoy whatever background I have. I change them out a lot too.

Screen Shots below.

Swipe to my second page and it's a mess.  Completely covered up in apps, widgets and folders.  I have a couple of icon spots that shift depending on what I'm up to at the moment.

Shared Folder - https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=938BFCA792D16220!184730&authkey=!AObVBPihkhA0qUA&ithint=folder%2cpng

You will notice the big app I don't use is Outlook.  I gave up on outlook.com long ago. Spam issues, app issues.  I have K9Mail right now but it's out of here too. I use a service called Fastmail and need to use aliases. I have to send e-mail as a user from several domains.

I have a few project fi widgets that nobody else will need.  My big ones are Amazon Prime Music and of course, Pocket casts.  I like being able to play directly from the widget but those apps also put players in dropdown drawer and the lock screen for added control.

Crazy background that I lifted off of twitter. I've already replaced it.  My second screen already looks different.

WolfJT

There are a few in the store but they are all pretty sad. You will not like them. Embrace the the Google Now launcher or try the Microsoft one. Do what you can do with widgets but try not to go wild with them. I have two pages, well technically 3 with Google Now as one.

My home screen which has all the basics I use. I have a couple of widgets here as well but try to keep the home screen open so I can enjoy whatever background I have. I change them out a lot too.

Screen Shots below.

Swipe to my second page and it's a mess. Completely covered up in apps, widgets and folders. I have a couple of icon spots that shift depending on what I'm up to at the moment.

Shared Folder - https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=938BFCA792D16220!184730&authkey=!AObVBPihkhA0qUA&ithint=folder%2cpng

You will notice the big app I don't use is Outlook. I gave up on outlook.com long ago. Spam issues, app issues. I have K9Mail right now but it's out of here too. I use a service called Fastmail and need to use aliases. I have to send e-mail as a user from several domains.

I have a few project fi widgets that nobody else will need. My big ones are Amazon Prime Music and of course, Pocket casts. I like being able to play directly from the widget but those apps also put players in dropdown drawer and the lock screen for added control.

Crazy background that I lifted off of twitter. I've already replaced it. My second screen already looks different.

I really like the Arrow launcher. I've attached some screen shots. First one is my main app screen. The launcher moves apps in order of most used. The second is my widgets screen. I have the At Bat widgets first then I can scroll down to Google Now and my podcast and music widgets. It's a great launcher and makes Android more usable in my mind.

c02f2f2a796a6e85190814f069003b18.jpg

5d698f5de9ee5209c9ce1df5eeea8e88.jpg

Dave

That is waaaayyy clean! Too clean. You have some good basics that I like. Twitter, SnapChat.  You should try talon though.  Best twitter app ever IMO.  I think it's better than anything on iOS too.  I have too many apps though.  I was thinking about wiping mine and trying out that launcher a little bit.  I have a tendency not to like fancy launchers though.

WolfJT

That is waaaayyy clean! Too clean. You have some good basics that I like. Twitter, SnapChat. You should try talon though. Best twitter app ever IMO. I think it's better than anything on iOS too. I have too many apps though. I was thinking about wiping mine and trying out that launcher a little bit. I have a tendency not to like fancy launchers though.

This is what I like the best, I love the app drawer. The alphabetical ordering of the list makes Android all the better

9d3748e69d073a89954e00f745330c8b.jpg

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Thanks for the pics guys, that helps a ton. However it seemed one of the pics was from the 90's, who uses evernote anymore.

Edited by ImTheTypeOfGuy
  • Like 1

ImTheTypeOfGuy

The app drawer does look nice.

Does swiftkey allow you to type by sliding you're finger to type, ala Windows phone.

WolfJT

The app drawer does look nice.

Does swiftkey allow you to type by sliding you're finger to type, ala Windows phone.

Yes sir it sure does. Has a lot of themes and predicts pretty well. However I think typing on Win Phone is a better experience

WolfJT

An interesting update from my wife. She's been using Android now for about three months. She said serial times lately how much better Windows Phone is. Being a tech guy I already knew this, so it was refreshing to hear someone who isn't recognize it. It's just too damn bad devs didn't and won't support it.

• Like 1