RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
WolfJT

From Windows Phone To Android, A Look At A Non Tech Perspective

WolfJT

I am/was a Windows Phone cheerleader. I and my wife have been on the platform since Windows Phone 7.5. Due to the lack of support (apps for work and play not available or that are severely crippled) I and my wife were forced to move to Android.  My wife is not a techie and I was very curious what she thought about the differences in platforms. She has told me that she finds Android okay, it's pretty easy but some things are less convenient to her. Her first impression was that it takes a lot longer to get to where she wants to go. Too many steps to get to the dialer and or contacts for instance. But all in all she transitioned pretty well.

As for myself, I've used Android as a work phone for many years, but my personal phone was always WP. I have transitioned to the LG V10 as my personal phone. It's a nice phone I like the size and the fingerprint reader for sure. Must say the camera is very good as well. But, this phone (Running Android Marshmallow) has a few features missing. The big one is not being able to have my SMS messages read over the car speaker. Windows Phone has this down and it's a great feature. I am not able to get SMS messages over to my MS Band 2, that's very annoying. Of course I dearly miss pinning apps to the start screen. It is such a snap when flying to be able to pin your boarding pass right to the start screen.  I know that Google Now will show the boarding pass, but I am not all in on Google. I use Bing search and will continue. I love the MS Arrow Android Launcher, it's much, much better than the standard Android. Funny thing though, Outlook for Android will not sync my calendar. So, I use the Android Calendar and Outlook for mail.

Just wondering what others thoughts are and impressions.

callihan44

I have switched back and forth a few times and I find things that I like about both, unfortunately I don't feel like wp has the support it deserves. Maybe when surface phone shows up this will all change but who knows. I pretty much need a top of line camera and I have been impressed with the one in the note 4, battery life is huge factor also and the note does well in this area. With office apps on android-ios I don't see much incentive to switch to wp, atleast not for the avg consumer.

up7500

Did they change something in Marshmallow, I get SMS to my Band 2 fine on my LG G3 with lollipop.  Wish I could use the keyboard to respond from the Band 2, but I know that is a Windows Phone only feature.

WolfJT

Did they change something in Marshmallow, I get SMS to my Band 2 fine on my LG G3 with lollipop. Wish I could use the keyboard to respond from the Band 2, but I know that is a Windows Phone only feature.

That's great to know. I'm not getting it on my LGV10 nor can my wife get it on her LGG5 which is also running Android M. I have a ticket open with MS.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Dave

My car reads my messages just fine. I also just got a notice about Android Auto.  I have to take it to the dealer to flash the car. I also get SMS to the Band 2.  I'm on a Nexus 6P.

WolfJT

My car reads my messages just fine. I also just got a notice about Android Auto. I have to take it to the dealer to flash the car. I also get SMS to the Band 2. I'm on a Nexus 6P.

What version of Android are you on and what phone?

Edited by WolfJT

up7500

Found out something even better today.  The keyboard works to respond to SMS even though I am using a Android phone.  The band 2 seems to get better and better.

• Like 1

WolfJT

Found out something even better today. The keyboard works to respond to SMS even though I am using a Android phone. The band 2 seems to get better and better.

I would hope so. I think the only difference between Droid and win phone is the use of voice. I got used to talking my reply with WP. I hope they get this Marshmallow issue fixed soon. I miss getting SMS messages on my band

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I am/was a Windows Phone cheerleader. I and my wife have been on the platform since Windows Phone 7.5. Due to the lack of support (apps for work and play not available or that are severely crippled) I and my wife were forced to move to Android. My wife is not a techie and I was very curious what she thought about the differences in platforms. She has told me that she finds Android okay, it's pretty easy but some things are less convenient to her. Her first impression was that it takes a lot longer to get to where she wants to go. Too many steps to get to the dialer and or contacts for instance. But all in all she transitioned pretty well.

As for myself, I've used Android as a work phone for many years, but my personal phone was always WP. I have transitioned to the LG V10 as my personal phone. It's a nice phone I like the size and the fingerprint reader for sure. Must say the camera is very good as well. But, this phone (Running Android Marshmallow) has a few features missing. The big one is not being able to have my SMS messages read over the car speaker. Windows Phone has this down and it's a great feature. I am not able to get SMS messages over to my MS Band 2, that's very annoying. Of course I dearly miss pinning apps to the start screen. It is such a snap when flying to be able to pin your boarding pass right to the start screen. I know that Google Now will show the boarding pass, but I am not all in on Google. I use Bing search and will continue. I love the MS Arrow Android Launcher, it's much, much better than the standard Android. Funny thing though, Outlook for Android will not sync my calendar. So, I use the Android Calendar and Outlook for mail.

Just wondering what others thoughts are and impressions.

Is the MS store windows launcher an overlay that makes Android look like windows phone 8. If yes, how do you like it. Does it have tiles that change or are they static.

My car reads my messages just fine. I also just got a notice about Android Auto. I have to take it to the dealer to flash the car. I also get SMS to the Band 2. I'm on a Nexus 6P.

How do you like the 6p. I am thinking about abandoning windows phone now.

WolfJT

Is the MS store windows launcher an overlay that makes Android look like windows phone 8. If yes, how do you like it. Does it have tiles that change or are they static.

How do you like the 6p. I am thinking about abandoning windows phone now.

I ended up getting the LGV10. I like it a lot. The camera is great, I like the 64 gig internal storage and the extra SD slot. The battery life is so, so. I got the extra battery and it helps a lot. The phone is smooth and fast. I live the fingerprint reader as well. Not too mention all the apps are finally accessible to me. ☺️