RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SSD on the way, need advice

Citezein

Tomorrow morning I'm receiving a new OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD. I'm trying to breath a bit of new life into my aging desktop with the SSD and a couple of gigs more RAM. I'm trying to determine if I'm going to get the most out of my SSD with my current MB, or if I should get a dedicated SATA card. My motherboard is an Intel D975BX2 and I'm unsure if it has SATA 2 or just SATA 1. There's the built in chipset SATA ports, and a Marvell 88SE6145 raid controller with several SATA ports. It mentions 3GB as the limit, but not SATA II explicitly.

The documentation for my board is at http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15065/eng/D975XBX2_TechProdSpec.pdf

Does anyone have experience with an older board like this and an SSD? Any suggestions?

Thanks

The 975x chipset has the ICH7 SATA controller, which is a 3gbps controller. That marvell chipset also supports SATA2.

Throw it in and enjoy. You can look at Doc's SSD setup guide in our show notes for Episode 16.

It's in and I'm enjoying. This computer has a new lease on life with the SSD and an extra 2GB of RAM (now 6GB). The operating system is now plenty fast in everyday use. It still takes some time to launch everything at startup, but after a minute or two normal interactions are almost instantaneous.

I'm going to evaluate its speed over the next week or two. I may end up buying a 60GB SSD to use for source code. Compiling involves lots of reads from many small files and I think the bottleneck is now my data drive. I'm also limited by the CPU (a 65nm Core 2 Duo @ 2.4Ghz), since this board doesn't accept any 45nm chips and buying a quad core chip for an upgrade just isn't worth the cost. I'm better off waiting a few months and upgrading the whole thing to a Sandy Bridge system (keeping my new SSD, of course).

Late to the game here, but glad it worked out. SSD's sure do revive older hardware. As no-control said, do take care of the basics such as indexing from our guide and enjoy it.