RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JDog04

Easiest way to backup, restore data for 3.0 upgrade?

JDog04

OK, I'll give Twonky a try then.

It's beginning to sound like the MediaSmart Connect is the limiting factor in what I'm trying to do then. I was considering buying an Xbox Kinetic for Christmas for the kids. Do you know by chance if it has greater functionality than the MediaSmart Connect, in terms of displaying cover art, thumbnails from files on the server? Or do I need to go in the direction of a very basic Home Theater PC?

cskenney

Diehard, while I've got your ear, I was wondering if you or anyone else on this forum could give me some advice on the following, even though they are off-topic:

1) A website or user forum that would advise me on finding a software that is better than HP Photosmart Essential when it comes to downloading and organizing photos from our multiple cameras, and consolidating them into consistent folders.

2) An add-in or software that would allow us to print while viewing pictures via the Mediasmart Connect. My folks love to come over and view our photos on the TV, and also want prints. But I end up handing them a tablet and pen and tell them write down the file name and folder and I'll print it for you when you're done. They generally lose interest, thinking they're putting me through too much trouble.

3) Recommend a way to make the Mediasmart Connect work faster (do I need to get one of those HP Personal Media Drives so I'm navigating folders on the device vs a server?).

Have you looked at Windows Live Photo Gallery. For the price (free) it works really well. You can add tags to your photos and it will embed them in the jpeg file itself. Then if you move the files around the tags move with (in) the photos. Many other photo programs use databases to keep track of tags and captions. If you move stuff outside of their program the database gets hosed.

diehard

That's a very good point cskenny. Most program like Picasa allows you to tag your folders, the problem is that after much time and work, you are stuck using their program.

Once you get your photos organised, you can use the HP MediaSmart's Photo Publisher program to upload your photos to sites like Picasa, Flickr,snapfish, Facebook or access them on your server using Photo Viewer. So your parents can view your photos on a PC either at your place or over the internet and choose photos.

If you use the MediaSmart Connect as a Media Center extender like you can with the 360, then you must sync it with a PC that has Windows 7 Home Premium, then you will see icons and all that fun stuff. That's how I use mine. For my downloaded movies, I installed a Windows Media Center plugin called Media Browser, then from the Connect, I go to Media Browser to select my movies. You can also use the build in Media Center photos and music.

The MediaSmart Connect's Media Center interface is a little slow, but you have the device already. But the 360 will do all the same and be quicker. I have a 360 but find it a bit noisy so I use the Connect. But if you get the new 360 slim, it might be quieter than my 360, but not silent like the Connect. it's up to you.