RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JDog04

Easiest way to backup, restore data for 3.0 upgrade?

diehard

Do you have Folder Duplication on any of the shares turned ON ? That will take some time to balance. Could be overnight. What about the Media settings in the Dashboard under Settings, Media Sharing ? Is this running ? This is Windows version of Twonky, Windows Media Connect. This could also be indexing files. Then DEmigrator service could be running to balance the drives.

JDog04

Do you have Folder Duplication on any of the shares turned ON ? That will take some time to balance. Could be overnight. What about the Media settings in the Dashboard under Settings, Media Sharing ? Is this running ? This is Windows version of Twonky, Windows Media Connect. This could also be indexing files. Then DEmigrator service could be running to balance the drives.

Thanks Diehard for getting back with me so quickly. I think you're right, that the server is just busy organizing all the data. I'll give it a few days to balance or index all the files (2 TB worth of data). Hopefully it will start working better afterward. I do have the Folder Duplication on, but turned off the shares. Sorry to hear about WHS being discontinued. I'm glad I got my devicea couple of years ago. Is there any replacement on the horizon or has Microsoft given up on the technology completely?

JDog04

JDog04

Diehard,

It's been 4 days now, and the machine is still at a 100% usage. I can only assume that it is indexing the files that I restored from my USB backup, when I moved them over last weekend. I read on another forum another guy waited 3 weeks to index 6000 songs on his new EX490. He finally gave up, did a factory reset and then began moving them over in smaller chunks rather than all at once. In the post, he was also told to do the factory reset and all the updates before putting a large amount of files on the server.

I'm thinking that when did my upgrade from 1.0 to 3.0, that I may have made a mistake. I did the factory reset, and brought the server to its original configuration with the 1.0 version. I then restored all my files from the USB backup, and then did the 3.0 upgrade. Should I have done the 3.0 upgrade first, and then brought the files over?

Lastly, I'm interested in upgrading the processor from the original AMD Sempron 3400+. I saw on another website that someone recommended the 2.6GHz AMD LE-1640 Orleans, but that processor is no longer on the market. Would you mind recommending me another one that won't melt the machine?

Thanks again,

JDog04

Thanks Diehard for getting back with me so quickly. I think you're right, that the server is just busy organizing all the data. I'll give it a few days to balance or index all the files (2 TB worth of data). Hopefully it will start working better afterward. I do have the Folder Duplication on, but turned off the shares. Sorry to hear about WHS being discontinued. I'm glad I got my devicea couple of years ago. Is there any replacement on the horizon or has Microsoft given up on the technology completely?

JDog04

diehard

I replaced the CPU in my EX475 with the BE-2300 I also had to do the BIOS update. I think the LE-1640 is a single CPU so it doesn't require the BIOS mod. This was the way most folks went.it was a good upgrade, but once the 3.0 update was available, it seems that the chip just didn't cut it. So I'm happy I chose the BE-2300. It actually out preformed my EX490 before I upgraded that to a E5400. With the BE-2300 I ended up building the VGA cable, that might be to overwhelming for you. Then getting the BE2300 could be hard to find and cast as much as $100.

Have you considered getting a EX490 before there is no stock ? One could be had for $350 and replace the single core with dual core of $60. No BIOS mod needed.

If your issue is with Twonky, have you tried unchecking your videos share to see if the CPU slows down ? Console, Settings, Twonky Media, sharing folder tab, double click videos so it turns red. Then see if your server is more responsive after 5 minutes.

usacomp2k3

That's partially why I ultimately went back to V2 on my ex470 *shrug*

JDog04

I turned off the Twonky Media sharing and that seemed to reduce the CPU usage to a manageable level. I first had to reboot the server to see any results. Q: Do I really need Twonky Media to stream videos to my other PC's and the HP Mediasmart Connect?

With respect to the processor upgrade, I don't see the BE-2300 on Newegg or Amazon, so I assume it's no longer being sold. Can you recommend me another one? I don't mind the BIOS upgrade unless it is very intensive for the average user. Really, all I want the server to do is to be able to stream our home videos and pictures to other devices throughout the house. I also want to back up the other machines and back up the server drives on a monthly basis. Is the processor that is currently in the machine adequate for that with 3.0? It used to be for 1.0 until I started having problems that I believe were resolved with the Factory Reset to 1.0.

diehard

The thing with the MediaSmart Connect when used in the default HP mode needs to point to a DLNA server to list and play the videos. Twonky does this, but so does the builtin Windows Media Connect. So turn off Twonky and turn on the video sharing button in the Console, Settings,Media Sharing, and set the videos button to on. It should be less CPU intensive.

To make sure the WMC is pointing to the right folder, RDC into your server and go to C:\Program Files\Media Connect and choose WMCFG. Under devices, you should see your x280 Media Connect device if the device is turned on, allow sharing if it's not turned on. Click on the Sharing tab on the left and make sure your point to where your videos are. Under the Settings tab, choose the automaticaly start folder sharing and Automatically Allow new devices.

Now you should be able to play the files on your MediaSmart Connect.

The BE2300 is hard to find, I would skip that for now.

You could be having a problem with Twonky if it's not completely patched, did you check Console, Settings,MediaSmart Server, HP Update tab, check for updates ? There should have been 3 updates. You should be at version 3.3.1.35433. The files might have downloaded but not updated. They are on the server in the C:\program Files\HP MediaSmart Server\data\.updates folder .pending if downloaded and .applied if installed. There should be 3 files.

If you were running Twonky on version 1, you could still have the same issues. version 3 gives you the extra option to convert file to MP4 formats, this will make your EX470 crawl, so if you decide to convert files, then just enable this function to run overnight when your not using the server or backing up. As for the Media Collector software, there could be some issue of it not completeing and files are shown as pending, but this is due to poor progamming on HP's part. Other's are trying to patch this, but so far it's try and miss.

JDog04

Thanks for the quick reply, Diehard. After turning off Twonky, it's working like the old again! At least I can play my home videos via the Mediasmart Connect, like before. I was hoping the RAM upgrade on the server and the 3.0 would make navigating the server from the Mediasmart Connect a little faster. It still takes at least 3-5 seconds to scroll, select folders, open folders from the server. I was also hoping to get thumbnails of the videos rather than just the generic video icon (ditto for pictures, music, etc.). Does Twonky do this for Mediasmart Connect?

I checked the server to see if the 3 patches were in the pending or applied folder. Oddly, I am running the latest version, but only 2 upgrades are in the applied folder (MSSDV32134990, MSDV33135433). So I'm satisfied for now, but would like to know how get Twonky to work if it can do the thumbnails, etc.

Another question I have is regarding backup to my USB drives. The next time when I go to backup the video folder for example, will it only update what has been changed? Or will it do a full backup of everything?

Thanks again for lending me hand. This forum has been great!

JDog04

Diehard, while I've got your ear, I was wondering if you or anyone else on this forum could give me some advice on the following, even though they are off-topic:

1) A website or user forum that would advise me on finding a software that is better than HP Photosmart Essential when it comes to downloading and organizing photos from our multiple cameras, and consolidating them into consistent folders.

2) An add-in or software that would allow us to print while viewing pictures via the Mediasmart Connect. My folks love to come over and view our photos on the TV, and also want prints. But I end up handing them a tablet and pen and tell them write down the file name and folder and I'll print it for you when you're done. They generally lose interest, thinking they're putting me through too much trouble.

3) Recommend a way to make the Mediasmart Connect work faster (do I need to get one of those HP Personal Media Drives so I'm navigating folders on the device vs a server?).

diehard

Yes, Twonky will give you icons, but the MediaSmart Connect will not display them. The MediaSmart Connect interface does not display the graphics, so it the device that can't handle it.

That's fine with the files, your missing the 1st one, HP must have added it to the build or else you would not have been able to add the 2nd and 3rd patch.

When you do another backup, it will only add what has changed. Keep in mind that if you moved files to different folders or renamed them, then it will add these files again since it doesn't know. but if you do have enough space to add the new files, you can always delete the previous backup and it will keep the files it needs.

For Twonky, you can try adding the files in batches. eg: make a temporary share and move all your videos to that share. Since Twonky is not monitoring that new share, it will not index it. Then move files over to the Videos share in batches, say 10 gigs, see if it indexes then calms down. Then repeat until your all done. Turn off WMC. only use one or the other, not both.