RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JDog04

Easiest way to backup, restore data for 3.0 upgrade?

JDog04

Hello All, newbie here. I recognize this is a forum for experts, programmers, etc., and not really for the novice user like me. However I have not had any luck getting a question answered on other forums. Any advice you might offer would be greatly appreciated.

I was hoping someone could advise me on the most efficient way to (i) backup my ~1.5 TB worth of files on my HP Mediasmart Server EX375, (ii) install the 3.0 upgrade, and (iii) restore my files. I will upgrade my RAM to 2 GB, and would like to reformat all my server hard drives. I'm hoping the easiest way involves restoring all my stored data via two WD USB backup drives rather than move all the files onto the server from networked PCs (I hope it would be faster this way).

To give you an idea of my level of sophistication, I have been backing-up and taking off-site two WD USB backup drives in an extremely inefficient way. I have been connecting the USB drives to networked PCs, then created a series of Briefcases in the USB drives containing the folders from the server and did synchronizations once a month as my backup means. [Q: could I possibley restore directly to the soon to be upgraded server those files in my Briefcases by connecting the USB drives directly to the server?]

Thanks a million, JDog04

usacomp2k3

Welcome to the forums! This is certainly a place for people of all knowledge levels.

How much free space do you have on the external drives? What is your drive configuration?

The easiest solution is that if you have enough drives, you can remove the from the pool one-by-one, and then move the data from the pool to the removed drives. Then just preform the reverse once you install the 3.0 software.

diehard

You should connect your USB external drives to your server, go into the Console under the Server Storage Tab, you should see the drives listed, add them as non pooled drives and format them. Remember you will loose all content on the drives. Using Briefcases as you are is messy. Once these drives have been added, go to the Computers and Backup Tab. Now you should see an option to backup your server. You can now choose which shares to add to each drive. Try to see if you can find space for all your data. Once your sure you have copied all the data to the backup drives. Power down your server, remove the USB drives.

Now you can do a server Recovery with the HP 3.0 disks. If you choose the Server Recovery option, it will not delete any of the data from the currently connected pool drives and you will only have to recreate the Users and install any addins again. If you choose the option to do a Factory Reset, all data will be deleted. But if you backed up your data to the USB drives, then your safe.

Both ways, you will loose your PC backup that you created. If you want to save those backups, then you should install the BDBB addin from mediasmartserver.net/add-ins site and backup them up.

Also, if you have spare drive bays in your server, instead of adding the USB drives through USB, if it's easy for you to take apart the USB drives and physicaly install the drive in the server and again add them as non pooled drives. This way the transfer speed will be faster. But remember to physically remove these drives before you do the server recovery.

If your not sure about what I recommend, please let me know.

• Like 1

JDog04

Hey usacomp2k3! Thanks for the quick reply. I have a 2TB USB western digital drive that I use as backup. But I back it up using that quarky method with the Briefcase. On my HP WHS I have 4 drives, the original two which account for about 1 TB and then two separate ones that I installed later (1 TB and a 1.5 TB)...

With respect to the steps you described, I have the following questions:

1) So I remove each drive one-by-one, starting with the smallest first? Would the information from each drive be transferred to the other remaining drives during that process, and would the drive itself then be formatted?

2) One of the reasons I wanted to completely wipe out the drives and really the entire system (thus moving everything to the USB backup drive) is b/c my WHS is crawling these days and giving me a number of error messages such as the backup service has failed, one of the drives is failing, then the other, at times it won't let me log into the unit...I can't even stream my home videos to my mediasmart connect. By following your advice, am I getting a clean systems once I upgrade to 3.0? Or do I need to wipe out the WHS first, then do the upgrade, then do the restore from the USB backup drive?

3) At which point should I install the new RAM?

Thanks again for your help,

JDog04

JDog04

Diehard, thanks for the instructions. I will follow your advice and backup to the USB drives, power down the unit, remove the USB drives, install the 3.0 upgrade and then perform a Factory Reset, thus whiping out all my data on the internal drives. Q: After performing the upgrade, how do I add the data back onto the internal drives? And are you certain that all the data will be accessible on the USB drive should for some unforseen reason my WHS die while upgrading, such that I can transfer the data to a PC if worse comes to worst? I have all my children's photos, videos, etc. on the server and the backups...so losing the data is by far a worse nightmare than my house burning down.

Thanks again,

JDog04

Dave

I think the Diehard explained it was to do the Recovery option after you copy all the important data off. The data copy is for peace of mind in case anything goes wrong. The server recovery will keep your data intact but you will lose all your settings, users, and PC backups. Use BDBB and a spare USB drive if you want to preserve your backups. That's how I read it but I have not performed a 3.0 upgrade.

You will get a fresh system this way hopefully reducing the "crawling" as you explained.

I like to do these kind of upgrades separately. Meaning, install the RAM before or after. That way there are no questions if anything funny should pop up.

diehard

Diehard, thanks for the instructions. I will follow your advice and backup to the USB drives, power down the unit, remove the USB drives, install the 3.0 upgrade and then perform a Factory Reset, thus whiping out all my data on the internal drives. Q: After performing the upgrade, how do I add the data back onto the internal drives? And are you certain that all the data will be accessible on the USB drive should for some unforseen reason my WHS die while upgrading, such that I can transfer the data to a PC if worse comes to worst? I have all my children's photos, videos, etc. on the server and the backups...so losing the data is by far a worse nightmare than my house burning down.

Thanks again,

JDog04

Q: After performing the upgrade, how do I add the data back onto the internal drives? When you add the external drive to the EX475 as a non pooled drive using the Console's Server Storage Tab, then a option in the Computers & Backups Tab will appear to allow you to backup all or some of your shares using a pulldown menu. You will have a status bar telling you how much space you have left. This menu also allow you to restore your data. This option only appears because you added the drive in the Server Storage Tab. Therefor, when you rebuild the server and have all the updates installed, including PP1,2,3 and have you pooled drives attached, then you can plug in your USB drive and add it as a NON POOLED DRIVE. This time, DO NOT FORMAT, just add without format. Now when you go to the Computers & Backups tab, you will see the drive under the server name. You should see the backups, click on it and do the restore.

And are you certain that all the data will be accessible on the USB drive should for some unforseen reason my WHS die while upgrading, such that I can transfer the data to a PC if worse comes to worst?

Yes, if you have enough space on the 2TB drive to hold all your data. You said you have 2 500Gig, 1 1TB, 1 1.5TB drives. So that's more than the 2TB USB drive. Do you have any of the shares duplicated ? check the Shares folder Tab. Once you do the backup to the USB drive, you can put the drive into a PC and see the data on the drive, so give that a try before you wipe your server. When doing the backup to the USB drive, a prgress bar will tell you if it completed with enough space or errors. Hopefully you have enough space or you will have to copy some data to a other drive.

To be on the safe, you could choose to do a Server Recovery which will not delete the data and then do the 3.0 update. See if you have the errors you had before. If your good, then great, If you have errors with your data, you can do the Factory Reset to wipe the data. This is a longer procedure if you have to do both, but if the Recovery works, you saved the time of restoring the data from the USB drive, but you will have the backup on the USB drive anyway.

When you get things going, do not turn on Folder Duplication on the shares because that will make the server crawl because the drives will be busy copying files to the drives. Turn in on a few days later when your happy with the setup.

Once your data has been backed up. That would be a good time to add the memory. You can follow the directions here, http://www.youtube.com/windowshomeserver#p/a/f/0/Jt4RaMmRu04

Here is how to add the external drive, http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10797/backup-windows-home-server-folders-to-an-external-hard-drive/

Here is some more reading material http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2009/09/14/replacing-the-sys-drive-in-windows-home-server-on-a-friday-night/

Tim had to replace the systen drive, you do not. But you can start from where he does the restore.

You will also have to uninstall the Connector software on your PC, since it will be a different version. Also the Server Recovery restore will quit once the server reboots because it is expecting to install the connector on your PC and if you still have your old one installed, it will quit.

JDog04

Diehard, you are the man! Thanks for all the direction. I am currently backing up to the USB 2TB drive (going on my third day now). Once its finished, I'll install the 3.0 update. Before doing the Factory Reset, I'll check to see if I am getting the same latency and errors as I am now. I have a couple of other questions to your answers below (underlined).

Q: After performing the upgrade, how do I add the data back onto the internal drives? When you add the external drive to the EX475 as a non pooled drive using the Console's Server Storage Tab, then a option in the Computers & Backups Tab will appear to allow you to backup all or some of your shares using a pulldown menu. You will have a status bar telling you how much space you have left. This menu also allow you to restore your data. This option only appears because you added the drive in the Server Storage Tab. Therefor, when you rebuild the server and have all the updates installed, including PP1,2,3 and have you pooled drives attached, then you can plug in your USB drive and add it as a NON POOLED DRIVE. This time, DO NOT FORMAT, just add without format. Now when you go to the Computers & Backups tab, you will see the drive under the server name. You should see the backups, click on it and do the restore.

And are you certain that all the data will be accessible on the USB drive should for some unforseen reason my WHS die while upgrading, such that I can transfer the data to a PC if worse comes to worst?

Yes, if you have enough space on the 2TB drive to hold all your data. You said you have 2 500Gig, 1 1TB, 1 1.5TB drives. So that's more than the 2TB USB drive. Do you have any of the shares duplicated ? check the Shares folder Tab. Once you do the backup to the USB drive, you can put the drive into a PC and see the data on the drive, so give that a try before you wipe your server. When doing the backup to the USB drive, a prgress bar will tell you if it completed with enough space or errors. Hopefully you have enough space or you will have to copy some data to a other drive.

To be on the safe, you could choose to do a Server Recovery which will not delete the data and then do the 3.0 update. See if you have the errors you had before. If your good, then great, If you have errors with your data, you can do the Factory Reset to wipe the data. This is a longer procedure if you have to do both, but if the Recovery works, you saved the time of restoring the data from the USB drive, but you will have the backup on the USB drive anyway. So to be certain, I should do the Server Recovery or Factory Reset before doing the 3.0 update?

When you get things going, do not turn on Folder Duplication on the shares because that will make the server crawl because the drives will be busy copying files to the drives. Turn in on a few days later when your happy with the setup. What does folder duplication actually do? Is it mirroring the drives? Since I've got several different size drives, is it really mirroring?

Once your data has been backed up. That would be a good time to add the memory. You can follow the directions here, http://www.youtube.com/windowshomeserver#p/a/f/0/Jt4RaMmRu04

Here is how to add the external drive, http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10797/backup-windows-home-server-folders-to-an-external-hard-drive/

Here is some more reading material http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2009/09/14/replacing-the-sys-drive-in-windows-home-server-on-a-friday-night/

Tim had to replace the systen drive, you do not. But you can start from where he does the restore.

You will also have to uninstall the Connector software on your PC, since it will be a different version. Also the Server Recovery restore will quit once the server reboots because it is expecting to install the connector on your PC and if you still have your old one installed, it will quit.

Just out of curiosity, when I do the backups via the USB in the future, will it backup everything anew, or just the new stuff and the stuff that's changed?

Also, would it be more efficient if I just purchased a new internal hard drive that I would use only for backup? I could take out one of the 500GB, and plug in a 2TB drive and label it as backup, and then remove it when the backup is done and take it offsite.

And lastly, I have an HP Mediasmart Connect so that I can watch the home videos on the family TV. It has alsays been extremely slow to spool up the videos from the server (even though everything is on wired LAN). Will the increased RAM correct this? Or is that just one of the drawbacks my el cheapo route to home theater PC?

Anyhow, thanks a million for the advice. I'll let you know it all turns out (probably after thanksgiving).

Todd

I noticed an option the other day on restore I hadn't seen before. An option to allow the restore program to handle the restore. I used to go straight into a screen where I had to pick the drives to restore. I guess I missed discussion on an update. Did this come about because of the small (usually 100 Meg, but the one on my HP notebook is larger) partition in Windows 7. I did catch some discussion about problems when you didn't restore the partition, but I always have, so I haven't experience the problem.

JDog04

Diehard, I need your help!!!

I went through the process you described...back-up, server recovery with the original discs, then did the factory reset when I still had issues, reinstalled original 1.0, it worked fine, then installed the new 2GB RAM, then restored all my data from the USB hard drive, then proceded to install 3.0. Everything seemed to be working fine until the very end of the 3.0 install (I did a restore rather than wipe out everything out again). At the end of the 3.0 install, there was an unknown error that I could not correct (during what I thought was the installation of the desktop connector). So I ended up canceling the install at that point. But sure enough the desktop connector software connected after a reboot and I finished the configuration from there...and installed all the updates too.

Now however, I have the following issues:

1) The server is crawling (100% CPU usage) like before. So I researched the issue and discovered that it may be the TwonkyMedia software and decided to remote desktop into the machine and disable that service. That brought the CPU usage down.

2) I cannot stream smoothly to my Mediasmart Connect so we can watch our home movies via the TV. It takes too long to spool any video and then it does not run the video without chopping it up (start, stop, start, stop...)

3) It is taking far too long to move files off the server and onto a networked PC where I can work with the files (I'm actually converting videos from.TOD format to .MPG).

Any advice you may lend me is most welcomed. I'm at a loss and don't want to spend another week monitoring a backup and restore, reinstall, blah, blah, blah.

Thanks again,

JDog04