RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Drive Capacity question

Scott_C

Hi all, I currently have two drives in WHS - the system drive is partitioned and is 500gb capacity. There is also a 1TB drive plugged in.

WHS reports there being about 450gb free in the storage pool, but the Windows Disk Management software says that the 1TB drive is 2% free and the "D Partition" (of the system drive) is 100% free.

Is there a way for me to properly distribute the files across both drives? Or is Windows Disk Management not reporting things correctly?

The WHS Console reports that it has done the Storage Balancing.

Thanks,

Scott.

Did you RDP into the server and then using Windows Disk Management? WHS will try not to put anything on the system drive data partition until it needs to. For example, if you turned on duplication it would store the 2nd copy on your system drive.

I would ignore what Disk Management is telling you. WHS will start using the system drive as soon as the 1 TB drive is full.

You aren't getting any error messages are you?

Also, you don't say what your server is (home built or off-the-shelf) but I would add another drive if it was me.

Hi, I actually did RDP into the server. Thanks for the advice, the machine is home-built and the only reason the storage is close to full is I just removed a dodgy 1TB drive.

I'll get another one in there and see how I go.

Cheers,

Scott.