RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Uninterruptible Power Supply

BlackCat

I was wondering what I need to take into consideration when selecting a UPS? I know APC is a pretty popular manufacture, but other than that I'm a bit lost in figuring out what I need. Ideally, I would be able to connect my server and a core i7 workstation (still in planning) into it. I know that some products have the ability to start a shut down sequence if power goes out, which I would like to be able to implement. Thanks

See post #17 in the Grid Junction add-in thread concerning multiple computers trying to control 1 UPS.

Basically it will probably be more economical to have a separate UPS for each computer. Beyond that decision you need to consider how much power you need and for how long. If you read through the thread I linked above there is more information around post #19 for sizing a UPS.

See post #17 in the Grid Junction add-in thread concerning multiple computers trying to control 1 UPS.

Basically it will probably be more economical to have a separate UPS for each computer. Beyond that decision you need to consider how much power you need and for how long. If you read through the thread I linked above there is more information around post #19 for sizing a UPS.

Thanks, I'll take a look

I have a couple of computers on a UPS. The drawback is only one can use the software and be controlled to do a shut down. If you have power outages for extended periods, then go with a smaller one for each computer as it is a better solution. I have six of them running 8 computers only because a couple of them only stay on while I am there so I can shut down in the event of an outage.