RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Girevik

Video Through Hdmi

Girevik

Hello,

I recenlty got an HDMI cable for my Surface 3.  I've tried to hook it to two different TV's and am getting a "mode not supported" error.  I have the Surface set for 1920 x 1080 when connected.  The Surface is recognizing that it's connected, but the strange thing is that instead of showing what looks like two monitors on the surface display settings, it looks like 1|2.

I'm wondering if there's an issue with the cable I got, or I'm not doing something right on the connections.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

thelilgeek

You need to extend the desktop instead of duplicating the display.

Win key + P will do this.

Girevik

You need to extend the desktop instead of duplicating the display.

Win key + P will do this.

I've tried both and get the same results either way, but as a long term solution, wouldn't extending only show me half of what I'm wanting to see on my TV?

thelilgeek

It will make the tv a secondary monitor. If you want to use the TV only, use Win + P to disable the surface screen and only use the tv (or external monitor). This setting should revert when the cable is unplugged from the surface.

That should allow the system to properly detect the resolution of the TV, which I can only assume is not 1920x1080