RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Thinking of switching back to WHS

Abbas

I was using Windows Home Server three years back on a custom-built machine with two 1TB Hard Drives and an AMD server. The machine mainly acted as my backup machine as well as my downloading machine.

The need for media storage grew and from what I remember, WHS uses a 1:1 ratio for data protection which, at that time, was getting a bit expensive as I had bought two 2TB drives. So I ditched WHS, and instead got the 8-bay drobo connected through firewire on my Mac and shared on the network. The drobo uses 1 or two drives for backup so I end up getting more storage. Of course, it doesn't do anything. My drobo is now out of warranty and I've realized that I am running into issues with it as soon as I add more than 4 drives to it. So I am now wondering if I should switch back to WHS and build myself a PC with ten or so drive enclosures. Does WHS still use 1:1 for backing up? Is there any other solution that you guys recommend? What about FreeNAS or other NAS boxes based on Linux?

It only does 2x the space on the stuff you choose to duplicate. For example, your documents and pictures. It only uses 1x the space on stuff you choose not to duplicate. For example, when low on space, i don't duplicate my ripped media, because I could fairly trivially re-rip the content if a hard drive died.

I was using Windows Home Server three years back on a custom-built machine with two 1TB Hard Drives and an AMD server. The machine mainly acted as my backup machine as well as my downloading machine.

The need for media storage grew and from what I remember, WHS uses a 1:1 ratio for data protection which, at that time, was getting a bit expensive as I had bought two 2TB drives. So I ditched WHS, and instead got the 8-bay drobo connected through firewire on my Mac and shared on the network. The drobo uses 1 or two drives for backup so I end up getting more storage. Of course, it doesn't do anything. My drobo is now out of warranty and I've realized that I am running into issues with it as soon as I add more than 4 drives to it. So I am now wondering if I should switch back to WHS and build myself a PC with ten or so drive enclosures. Does WHS still use 1:1 for backing up? Is there any other solution that you guys recommend? What about FreeNAS or other NAS boxes based on Linux?

I may not be reading your questions correctly, but do you believe that WHS is doing a complete image backup of your client PC every time the backup service runs?

If that is the case you have been informed incorrectly. WHS will do a full backup initially and then perform incremental backups.

It only does 2x the space on the stuff you choose to duplicate. For example, your documents and pictures. It only uses 1x the space on stuff you choose not to duplicate. For example, when low on space, i don't duplicate my ripped media, because I could fairly trivially re-rip the content if a hard drive died.

Thanks- thats exactly what I wanted to know!