RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Recycle Desktop PC to ESX Server

Mr Bill

Good day all,

I am looking at recycling my current desktop unit to an ESX Virtual Server and possibly running Vail on it when it comes out.

The machine that I will be recycling has an Intel Q9550 that does support virtualization according to Intel.

The motherboard by Asus, Rampage Extreme does not state if it supports virtualization.

Does anyone know if this board would support virtualization?

Does anyone see any potential problems with recycling this desktop to an ESX server?

This is something that I am looking at doing in about 6 months.

I am new to this hardware virtualization.

Thanks for your support.

Mr. Bill

I just built my second VM server and love them. One of them I use to host my router (pfSense) and my UTM (Untangle). The other is hosting Vail, Aurora, Ubuntu and 2 Windows 7 machines. However, I can only get 4 of them to run at one time due to only having 8gig of ram. I tried ESX and it didn't like my onboard nic, so I switched to Xenserver and have been using it ever since. If you have trouble getting ESX installed, give Xenserver a try.

Guest no-control

I would think it would support Virtualization. Easiest way to tell would be to look in the BIOS there should be a VT enable/disable switch. Otherwise no issue repurposing it for VM duty.

I've heard that ESX can be quite picky when it comes to what hardware it'll run on.

If you wind up having isues, try Hyper-V or XenServer.. Hyper-V might be easiest to work with if you're just getting into virtualization..

ESX is great but it really likes to see server quality components. The only issue I have run into with Hyper V is the limitation of binding one virtual machine per physical NIC for an outside connection, unless I am missing something.

Your missing something I use a single NIC for 3 VMs. Are talking about within the intranet?

Yea, ideally, you should have at least two network connections. One will be used for management, and the other will have a virtual switch attached so that VMs can route onto your local network.